Can't Screw Collars to CircuPool Bypass Cell

Finally some good news: The new collars thread onto the bypass cells and the real cell with no issues.

The sad news is the replumbing project I have ahead of me after I cut out the existing unions. I have to replumb the line all the way from the heater to the Jandy valve since there's no section between any of the unions or elbows long enough to cut and insert a coupling. I think I'm going to have trouble finding a fitting to mate with the collar on my heater's output pipe. :(

Finally some good news: The new collars thread onto the bypass cells and the real cell with no issues.

The sad news is the replumbing project I have ahead of me after I cut out the existing unions. I have to replumb the line all the way from the heater to the Jandy valve since there's no section between any of the unions or elbows long enough to cut and insert a coupling. I think I'm going to have trouble finding a fitting to mate with the collar on my heater's output pipe. :(
What kind of heater, didn’t see it in your signature. I bought new Hayward’s off amazon recently.

What kind of heater, didn’t see it in your signature. I bought new Hayward’s off amazon recently.
It's a Teledyne-Laars that I strongly suspect came with the house when it was built in 1978. I had a pool guy come out to fix it a couple years ago and the minute he saw it he went, "whoah!" LOL.

This is the part of the plumbing that's gonna give me headaches, I suspect.
IMG_20200804_191920.jpg

It's a Teledyne-Laars that I strongly suspect came with the house when it was built in 1978. I had a pool guy come out to fix it a couple years ago and the minute he saw it he went, "whoah!" LOL.

This is the part of the plumbing that's gonna give me headaches, I suspect.
View attachment 156781
Maybe you can cut it close and sand it clean then glue the new one and raise it up from the bottom?

OK. I just tried cleaning the cell for the first time and discovered that no matter how hard I crank the cleaning stand down it still leaks, causing a lot of fizzing on the concrete. I checked that the rubber gasket is there at the bottom of the stand. Is this normal? I'm guessing not.

OK. I just tried cleaning the cell for the first time and discovered that no matter how hard I crank the cleaning stand down it still leaks, causing a lot of fizzing on the concrete. I checked that the rubber gasket is there at the bottom of the stand. Is this normal? I'm guessing not.

I had the same problem with my edge..Finally just put it in a small bucket

Reactions: Rattus Suffocatus
Well that's a waste of $23.
Not really, you would have to completely submerge the cell otherwise. Try going to a hardware store and getting a second O-ring (near faucets) and some O-ring lube. For how often you will use it you can use Vaseline. You don't normally on real o-rings because they can get eaten away from that (not silicon, but rubber can). If you slow it way down and then put it in something else... meh...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Has anybody had problems with the CircuPool union collars not fitting the bypass cell? They thread onto the real cell just fine, but they will not thread on the bypass cell more than a half turn before they bind. I thought maybe it was just dirty and cranked it with my hand a little and it took putting it in the hot water to get it off. The threads are clean and free of burrs or visible defects. The thread pitch is not obviously different, but neither collar will thread whatsoever.
I'm having the same issue as sbcpool, the original bypass cell doesn't fit threads. I purchased RJ60 June 8 2020. They have sent me a additional bypass, however it doesn't fit. I clean cell once a year so I called them and they said they would send another but I'm pretty sure it would be the same result. Did you ever get this sorted? The bummer is WHEN I need a new cell down the line I know the new cell wont fit the old collars.

I'm having the same issue as sbcpool, the original bypass cell doesn't fit threads. I purchased RJ60 June 8 2020. They have sent me a additional bypass, however it doesn't fit. I clean cell once a year so I called them and they said they would send another but I'm pretty sure it would be the same result. Did you ever get this sorted? The bummer is WHEN I need a new cell down the line I know the new cell wont fit the old collars.
It was only resolved by new collars, which made some extra pipe work necessary.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.