Can’t get pool to read any chlorine

Awoods75

Jul 8, 2019
Northern California
I really need help. I have been dealing with Leslie’s and am about to give up! I started out with a very green pool and now have a very cloudy pool . I have put hundreds of dollars of chemicals into it in a month. Tried gallons of chlorine, green to clean. Pound upon pounds of shock, algaecide Clarifiers . All my tests are in normal range except total chlorine and free chlorine are basically zero. I recently put 16 pounds of shock and reading is zero by morning. How can I kill algae trying to grow and clear the water if it won’t accept any chlorine?

I really need help. I have been dealing with Leslie’s and am about to give up! I started out with a very green pool and now have a very cloudy pool . I have put hundreds of dollars of chemicals into it in a month. Tried gallons of chlorine, green to clean. Pound upon pounds of shock, algaecide Clarifiers . All my tests are in normal range except total chlorine and free chlorine are basically zero. I recently put 16 pounds of shock and reading is zero by morning. How can I kill algae trying to grow and clear the water if it won’t accept any chlorine?

I was in your shoes a year ago. At this point everything will seem a bit overwhelming, but trust me, do what these people(on the forum) say and keep asking questions on here and your pool will be crystal clear and very easy to maintain without dumping hundreds of dollars at the pool store. Stay away from the pool stores...they’re the devil!!!

The vast majority of the people on this forum stood exactly where you are standing right now. The advice and help you will receive here will make your head spin at first, but once you’ve digested pool school and understand the concepts you’ll be armed with everything you need to never be pool stored again. The path to a clear, trouble free pool is as follows.

1. Get a proper test kit. I have the TF100 from TfTestKits.net

2. Read Pool School.

3. Read Pool School again, then read the SLAM article.

4. Ask questions on this forum so you can expand on what you’ve learned.

5. When your kit arrives test your water, make adjustments to your chemistry for CYA, PH as outlined in the SLAM process.

6. Follow the SLAM process until you pass the three criteria.

7. Use what you have learned through this process to maintain your pool without ever having to go to the pool store and light your money on fire.

Oh, I almost forgot, use pool math to calculate 5ppm of liquid chlorine for your pool volume. Add that amount of liquid chlorine every day until your test kit arrives.

Thank you everyone. I have put several hundreds of dollars in chlorine and shock in the pool in one month. Added 8 gallons of chlorine yesterday and no chlorine today as it tests. I am downloading the pool math app now. I have also had my pump running 24/7 for a month straight. I am so frustrated. Heading to the store today to get more chlorine, or bleach!

My test results- PoolMath Logs
Added 8 gallons and still 0 chlorine. My test kit is Taylor k-2005 and I just recently bought new test fluids since I was worried they might have been bad. Water is cloudy and a tinge of green. Been brushing and vacuuming pretty much every day.

Attachments

• DA767CC4-69A2-4342-8559-545EDC3C27EB.jpeg
    DA767CC4-69A2-4342-8559-545EDC3C27EB.jpeg
    533.3 KB · Views: 28
Thank you for the tests.

Your water is pretty cloudy. You need to follow the SLAM Process

To do that you need a FAS-DPD test kit to measure FC.

Add 5 ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine each evening at the pool return with pump running. When you get your test, let us know and we can provide guidance during your SLAM

I have to put 6 gallons of bleach in to reach 5ppm and it is down to zero in about 8 hours. Have put 16 gallons in now in about 24 hours. Good grief I cannot afford any more chemicals. Not to mention the people at Walmart think I am a serial killer or something ?.

What bleach are you using? It take 1 1/2 gallons of 10% to get 5 ppm in to your pool volume.

You show your CYA is 30, so your SLAM level FC is 12 ppm.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I also ha
I have to put 6 gallons of bleach in to reach 5ppm and it is down to zero in about 8 hours. Have put 16 gallons in now in about 24 hours. Good grief I cannot afford any more chemicals. Not to mention the people at Walmart think I am a serial killer or someth
The vast majority of the people on this forum stood exactly where you are standing right now. The advice and help you will receive here will make your head spin at first, but once you’ve digested pool school and understand the concepts you’ll be armed with everything you need to never be pool stored again. The path to a clear, trouble free pool is as follows.

1. Get a proper test kit. I have the TF100 from TfTestKits.net

2. Read Pool School.

3. Read Pool School again, then read the SLAM article.

4. Ask questions on this forum so you can expand on what you’ve learned.

5. When your kit arrives test your water, make adjustments to your chemistry for CYA, PH as outlined in the SLAM process.

6. Follow the SLAM process until you pass the three criteria.

7. Use what you have learned through this process to maintain your pool without ever having to go to the pool store and light
What bleach are you using? It take 1 1/2 gallons of 10% to get 5 ppm in to your pool volume.

You show your CYA is 30, so your SLAM level FC is 12 ppm.
it’s great value 6% and pool math says 6 gallons to reach 12ppm but it barely brings it to 5. So I need 12 gallons to get to a 10, correct? My pool is so messed up tat it doesn’t take what the math says it should. According to my 16 gallons in 24 hours and I have it at about a 4 now. So I need about 13-14 gallons to get it to a 12. Seems absolutely ridiculous. Lol

I would also look at the date codes on the bleach. You don't want it to be older than 3 months.

Look around Walmart and see if you can find the "Shock". It is liquid chlorine at 10%. It should be by the pool stuff. Also look around your area to see if any of the pool stores or janitorial supply places sells liquid chlorine. You might have to put a deposit down on the jugs but it would be worth it. Most of this chlorine comes in at 12% and you don't have empty jugs to deal with!

Kim:kim:

Reactions: Awoods75
It does take 6 gallons of 6% to get to 12 ppm, you said it was to get to 5 ppm.

Find some 10%. Also, have you read SLAM Process?
What I meant was pool math says 6 gallons of 6% was supposed to get me to 12ppm but it only brought it to 5ppm in my pool. I finally have chlorine reading and holding pretty steady. Only 1ppm loss overnight. Yay! Took 16 gallons of 6% bleach and 4 gallons of 10% chlorine. Very expensive and time consuming but worth it. I have also had to clean my filters about every 24 hours. Thank you for your help. I am still looking at cloudy water but it is much better. So will just be patient for a while longer until the cloudiness goes away. I can see the light at the end...

If you think $30-$40 in bleach is expensive, I have some pool stores to introduce you to. ;) You’ll feel like what you’re spent is a bargain!

• Haha
Reactions: kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.