Cant get feature pump primed

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I have a pentair whisperflo 2hp to power a bubbler and waterfall for my pool. its separate from the filter lines and pump. My plumber flaked out for startup of my new pool it was in me. i got the filter going but cant get the feature pump. i took off the check valve and filled the return with hose water until it started overflowing. Then i put valve back on and fire up the pump. it runs for 10-15 seconds and the bubbler works. But then it seems it runs out of the water i filled up and i dont see any more water in the filter windows coming in. ive even tried putting check valve in open all the time but still nothing. any advice?

Check were the suction comes from the pool. Skimmer or something else? Check valves. Lastly, be sure the pump basket lid is fully on and the gasket lubricated.

I cannot imagine it is from a main drain. Any side wall suction covers? Anything that might have been winterized but a plug not removed?

It shows a dedicated suction line so there are two suction ports in the pool, many times near the water feature. Look for covers.

yep. Plumber texted me back literally just now. ugh. he said it is one if the main drains, the other for the filter. he said its a long line, 100ft+ and the rise out of the deep end and since the pump is variable speed and doesnt have prime mode, it needs assistance getting initially primed and air bled. he said he has an adapter for this.

Your feature pump is not a VS pump.

Not wise tying it to a main drain. Hope he can make things work.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Relying on a check valve is not good practice. A properly designed pool pump system should not need a check valve.

They tied to the main drain because it was cheaper than putting proper suction ports in the pool wall.

Is one of the lines to your main pump from the main drain? If so, start that pump and then close the suction side valve from the main drain and see if that helps the feature pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.