Cant get feature pump primed

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I have a pentair whisperflo 2hp to power a bubbler and waterfall for my pool. its separate from the filter lines and pump. My plumber flaked out for startup of my new pool it was in me. i got the filter going but cant get the feature pump. i took off the check valve and filled the return with hose water until it started overflowing. Then i put valve back on and fire up the pump. it runs for 10-15 seconds and the bubbler works. But then it seems it runs out of the water i filled up and i dont see any more water in the filter windows coming in. ive even tried putting check valve in open all the time but still nothing. any advice?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Check were the suction comes from the pool. Skimmer or something else? Check valves. Lastly, be sure the pump basket lid is fully on and the gasket lubricated.

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
I am assuming its pulling from one of the main drains. think something stuck in there? how do i deal with that? skimmers are sucking and valves and open. lid on tight with lube and gasket.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
I cannot imagine it is from a main drain. Any side wall suction covers? Anything that might have been winterized but a plug not removed?

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
It shows a dedicated suction line so there are two suction ports in the pool, many times near the water feature. Look for covers.

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
yep. Plumber texted me back literally just now. ugh. he said it is one if the main drains, the other for the filter. he said its a long line, 100ft+ and the rise out of the deep end and since the pump is variable speed and doesnt have prime mode, it needs assistance getting initially primed and air bled. he said he has an adapter for this.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Your feature pump is not a VS pump.

Not wise tying it to a main drain. Hope he can make things work.

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Should it be a Variable speed pump? my filter pump is an itelliflo VS. the feature pump is a whisperflo 2hp.

yea why would he do that? he said itll be fine afterwards since there is a check valve installed at the pump

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Relying on a check valve is not good practice. A properly designed pool pump system should not need a check valve.

They tied to the main drain because it was cheaper than putting proper suction ports in the pool wall.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Is one of the lines to your main pump from the main drain? If so, start that pump and then close the suction side valve from the main drain and see if that helps the feature pump.

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Yep it is. I tried what you said but it didnt work. Plumber is out there right now trying to get this going. Hes been here 2 hours already this morning, nothing yet.

senatore412

Jun 27, 2017
Baltimore, MD
Turned out when the plumber did the winter stick up, he mislabeled the lines. I was sucking where I should have been pulling and vice versa. Once that was resolved, it primed without a problem. Thanks again for your help.