Can’t get chlorine up in pool after balancing pool levels?

Joworld0

Jul 20, 2020
Suffolk county, New York
Hey guys sorry new pool owner here. I have got all the levels balanced besides stabilizer... I added 6 tablets of chlorine .. after shocking and everything else of course..
I got a 30,000 gallon 20x40 In ground pool.
The pools been running for 2 days now and the tablets are barely dissolving not is the chlorine levels going up when I check with test strips..
Any advice please!

You may want to add some stabilizer to bring the level to 20 or 30 and add liquid chlorine. Then your tablets may be able to keep up.

Keep in mind, the tablets will eventually raise your stabilizer level past the recommended range but that's another topic.

Reactions: Joworld0
Jo,

Welcome to TFP. Good news is that you're here. The other news is you should read this asap ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. You are heading down the wrong road. TFP uses proven science to treat your pool much differently than the methods you are using. Many, many people end up here after test strips, and pucks lead to algae blooms and worse.

Ask any questions, we're here to help.

Chris

Can I add stabilizer while the chlorine tabs in there ?

Yes, you can add some stabilizer while using your tabs.

But to Chris' point, tabs are going to eventually backfire on you because the stabilizer levels will keep building and building until they are too high.

I would use tabs until your stabilizer level gets to around 50 or so and then switch to liquid chlorine. The tabs won't go necessarily go bad if properly stored and you can still use them at times when the pool will be unattended (vacation, etc).

Jo,

Welcome to TFP. Good news is that you're here. The other news is you should read this asap ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. You are heading down the wrong road. TFP uses proven science to treat your pool much differently than the methods you are using. Many, many people end up here after test strips, and pucks lead to algae blooms and worse.

Ask any questions, we're here to help.

Chris
Hey man thanks appreciate the reply. What liquid chlorine do you guys use ? Only thing is I just spent 80$ on a buncha tablets so prob gotta stick to that for this season at least

Hey man thanks appreciate the reply. What liquid chlorine do you guys use ? Only thing is I just spent 80$ on a buncha tablets so prob gotta stick to that for this season at least

I prefer the liquid chlorine that is 10% to 12% concentration so I don't have to carry as much when I buy it. But you can also get regular "bleach" as long as it has no other additives (anti splash, or scented, etc) but it usually comes in 6 to 7.5% concentration.

Liquid chlorine available at big box stores and WM in the pool section. Use Pool Math app to figure out how to how much to add 5 ppm daily. You need a recommended test kit to use this method. Test Kits Compared. Free pool store tests are worth what you pay for them. Test strips don't work. Until you do your own kit you just have to wait 'till it comes. Remember we don't sell anything. Ask anything you don't understand so when your kit gets there you'll be able to get everything under control.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.