Cannot raise a low free chlorine level

Hello,

I finally re-did the test using the new kit (K-2006) that I purchased, and the results are as follows:

Free & Combined Chlorine
Color didn't turn pink even after adding 10 scoops of DPD Powder, so I stopped assuming both are 0.

pH: 7.8
TA: 200 ppm
CH: 500 ppm
CYA: 48 ppm

I plan to lower the TA using muriatic acid first tonight, then adjust pH after that. Please, let me know if I should shock the pool tonight first as FC is 0 prior to adjusting TA then pH.

Thanks.

Add 5ppm FC worth of liquid chlorine now.

If the FC test sample does not turn pink with one scoop of powder, you have no FC in the water.

Reading back, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Lower your pH to 7.2 and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC to 20 ppm. Maintain 20 ppm FC. Do not worry about the TA.

Your pH and TA are fine for now.

Your CYA is 50. If the dot disappears between 50 and 40 then you round up and call it 50.

The only chemical you should be focused on now is getting your FC up to SLAM Process levels

Have you read ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry ?

Reactions: Joe Garcia
Marty and I are both getting our wires crossed here...

Lower your pH to 7.2 and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC to 20 ppm. Maintain 20 ppm and follow the SLAM Process

Reading back, you need to follow the SLAM Process. Lower your pH to 7.2 and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC to 20 ppm. Maintain 20 ppm FC. Do not worry about the TA.
Ho
I have KEMTEK Chlorinating liquid. Where can I find tables or equation to calculate to find its volume to raise FC to 20 ppm?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hello,

Today is the second day since I've started a SLAM process.

5-4 night: shocked to 20 ppm, pH 7.2
5-5 FC 19, CC 0, pH 7.2 => FC raised to 20
5-6 FC 14, CC 0, pH 7.2 => No actions taken yet

Does this look like a common/traditional conditions that require SLAM? Pool gets cloudy while brushing, but it is not that terrible but very mild.
Should I continue to raise FC up to a shock level (20 ppm)?
Thanks.

Did you read the SLAM Process article?

You should be testing your FC and adding liquid chlorine to get back to SLAM level FC at least 3-4 times per day.

Once your pool water is crystal clear (no dead algae when you brush), then run the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test
Yes, I reviewed it before I started it.
Since I have to go to work, 3-4 times a day is not practical for me.
For curiosity, how does clear of dead algae occur? Are they filtered? If so, why not "live" algae? Why is that we have to kill them first?

3 to 4 times per day.
First thing in the morning. Lunch? If not possible, any one home to add some LC? After work. Before bed.

Your filter clears the dead algae. Brushing daily brings the dead algae into the water to be filtered. Vacuuming or using a robot/cleaner does that too. If you do not kill the algae, it keeps multiplying. If you are seeing dead algae, you still have some live spores propagating in your water column.

3 to 4 times per day.
First thing in the morning. Lunch? If not possible, any one home to add some LC? After work. Before bed.

Your filter clears the dead algae. Brushing daily brings the dead algae into the water to be filtered. Vacuuming or using a robot/cleaner does that too. If you do not kill the algae, it keeps multiplying. If you are seeing dead algae, you still have some live spores propagating in your water column.
Will try.
I see. What would be the optimal rpm after brush? Would it be better to pump fast at least for a while after brush before algae gets settled back on the surface of the pool?

Hello,

This is the third day since I started SLAM process, and just today, FC level dropped 8 ppm just in 7 hours. What I'm wondering is, FC drop has been pretty consistent for the last three days, and my pool is pretty clear (I would say very). Would it be possible that algae was not the source of low FC issue that I have been having?

For measuring CYA using K-2006, you keep adding mix until a black dot is invisible. How much invisible is invisible? My measure using K-2006 was 50 ppm and a measure from a local store was 40, so I'm pretty confident, but I wanted to check while I'm planning to continue a SLAM process. Should it be raised to 70-80 ppm as I use SWG? Thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.