Can this pool marriage be saved? Renovate or demo.

PB spent about 1.5 hours this morning removing the concrete and found that indeed it was settling that heaved that damaged section and not roots. If only they didn’t add that step up feature when the pool was built!!!
That's good... with a proper base under your deck you'll be good to go! If it was roots you would be having to deal with stump removal and other such diggings...

So your going to chip out and replaster? I'm trying to follow.

So your going to chip out and replaster? I'm trying to follow.

Yes - the entire pool will be chipped out and replastered. SWGS installed too. All for a mere $19.6K + water bill +, +, +.

I still have to deal with the failed low maintenance pebble weeds. Fake grass is growing on me more and more.

LOL that plumbing looks too familiar to this rural, ranch inhabitant, and I am not talking about my pool! we call that ranch-rigged. you have a small leak and the deposit is most likely salt and/or calcium. (and out here on the ranch, if there isn't a big puddle we assume the crust may solve the leak so we don't worry about things like that unless it is also corroding some metal)

Pv2 - PB mentioned that thinks plumbing leak and will look into it. We found out that the previous owner like to fix things his way. Perhaps he learned his PVC skills from a rancher because I believe he was an urbanite or a Martian.

• Haha
Reactions: Pv2
I am ALSO dealing with "pebble weeds". Several layers of it in fact. From what I'm finding in my digging, is that they (previous owners, plural) put down plastic, then pebbles, then dirt??? then plastic, then more pebbles, then more pebbles, then bark, then??? Then we moved in with our rambunctious dogs who LOVE to run donuts around the pool and kick all that mess up either into the pool our out into the lawn, so we also have a pebbly, desolate, barren lawn area. It's a disaster.

But I digress...I'm glad it's all getting figured out for you. It looks like you have settled on the most economical way to approach the pool reno. Make sure to post PICS!

Sand down. Lunch break. Concrete tomorrow. Need to decide on paint color. Suggestions.

PB said will use high pressure water blaster to remove paint and plaster from pool.

Attachments

• AC20A09E-2CC3-4933-835D-7B646DD3E2C1.jpeg
    AC20A09E-2CC3-4933-835D-7B646DD3E2C1.jpeg
    771.8 KB · Views: 44
Sand down. Lunch break. Concrete tomorrow. Need to decide on paint color. Suggestions.

PB said will use high pressure water blaster to remove paint and plaster from pool.
Paint? For the pool deck?

And, the PB isn't chipping out the old plaster, just pressure washing it?

On another note, what a pretty view! You're going to be so glad when this is done!

I guess he’ll do the blaster first then chip. Previous owner painted the pool no doubt to hide the “imperfections”. I think once paint is removed it will be easier to chip.

The deck is 4” thick poured concrete and painted over. Since damaged section removed and new concrete have to paint to match other section finish.

I’m thinking purple but he will walk off job?‍♀️

Yes it is an amazing setting. We were very “fortunate” to find this money pit. Now that everything is updated with 20 more years to failure I am torn between staying or moving to total maintenance and weed pebble free place in another part of country.

Funny about the weed paper. I put down super duper rated for Florida type conditions and still get weeds. They grow in dirt that somehow accumulates above the weed paper. Where does that dirt come from?

I guess he’ll do the blaster first then chip. Previous owner painted the pool no doubt to hide the “imperfections”. I think once paint is removed it will be easier to chip.

The deck is 4” thick poured concrete and painted over. Since damaged section removed and new concrete have to paint to match other section finish.

I’m thinking purple but he will walk off job?‍♀️

Yes it is an amazing setting. We were very “fortunate” to find this money pit. Now that everything is updated with 20 more years to failure I am torn between staying or moving to total maintenance and weed pebble free place in another part of country.

Funny about the weed paper. I put down super duper rated for Florida type conditions and still get weeds. They grow in dirt that somehow accumulates above the weed paper. Where does that dirt come from?

LOL purple!

I think you should STAY!

And as for where the dirt comes from, detritus from trees/shrubs/grass clippings etc. accumulate, decompose, and there you go. A nice rich compost to grow weeds ;)

My plan for my yard is to remove all the plastic/pea gravel/bark a section at a time, find someone to haul it away for me, and then sod the larger parts of the yard, and then maybe some flagstone type pavers behind the pool. I'm doing all this work myself (except the hauling) so it's gonna take me a while, but hopefully will have it pretty by next summer. I figure it'll help me get in shape again before swim season anyway LOL

Yeah I tried weed barriers and it worked for one or two seasons.. then the weeds grow from the top down and just make a huge clot. Its only a good barrier from stuff growing underneath... definatley stopped the weeds from coming from the bottom. Now I just rake and put down a ground cover to inhibit weed growth or I grow something else that chokes them out.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Can’t turn back now!

It hasn’t rained all summer except for yesterday. Good for compacting the base but not good for the concrete truck to get close to the pool. The guys wheelbarrowed it in. Smoothing and waiting for next step. PB did a nice favor and patched a small driveway problem. Yay!730A6C09-D1D3-4FD6-BCB9-871512E8EFC6.jpegA78E8D34-89B3-4944-92C1-807B41CDC029.jpeg

I’m from NY and my sweetie was from CA. Our property taxes in those locations would have been enough for down payment!! It’s that backdrop that’s keeping me from cutting and running.

I’m not reinstalling the diving board. The pool is not properly designed for diving. Deep below board but too short distance to slope up to shallow end. When kids visited and even adults I had to be the wicked witch and enforce no diving. I’m hoping my neighbor will take it and install it on their dock at another lake.

I’m from NY and my sweetie was from CA. Our property taxes in those locations would have been enough for down payment!! It’s that backdrop that’s keeping me from cutting and running.

I’m not reinstalling the diving board. The pool is not properly designed for diving. Deep below board but too short distance to slope up to shallow end. When kids visited and even adults I had to be the wicked witch and enforce no diving. I’m hoping my neighbor will take it and install it on their dock at another lake.
Then check your home owners insurance.. if they have noted a diving board its most likely higher and you'll get a break without a diving board... maybe put a jumping rock on the end.

29,000 gallons of water to fill, 29,000 to go, if 1000 of those gallons happens to flow, 28,000 gallons to go???

plaster went on yesterday from 8 am till after 1230 when I had to leave. Water filling started around 6 pm and still going.

I think I have decided on a deck color but asked PB to call me as he walks through the paint store door.

still have some tile work to do. Fortunately I found the tiles the former owner left 20 years ago in my hoarders garage.

93878BDA-2735-4B93-9D9A-E94ABD84E6DC.jpegEE6F7CF8-20A3-458B-8147-9414DD3BC726.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.