Can somebody check my specs before I spend $7000+

Brian W

Bronze Supporter
Apr 25, 2020
Brea, California
Hi All,
I am a never-before pool owner. Looking to buy a 24 ft round, above ground saltwater pool, in Southern California. I need to get both my boys outside, but especially my 11 with autism. He needs the sensory therapy that a pool provides for him.

I was looking at the Azor all resin supports with steel walls and stainless steel service from the Inyopools

Here's my shopping cart. Opinions on product choices? Missing anything?

Azor 24 foot' x 54" inch
"Heavy Gauge" Liberty unibead liner. (Where can I buy one with mil not gauge?)
Thinking about xps board, above sand, below liner guard
AquaPro 24" 2hp 2 speed pump (2 speed Required in CA?)
Circupool Edge 40 swg
armor shield liner floor pad
wall foam and adhesive
12 mil Solar cover
Hayward Universal H-series 200,000 BTU Low NOx Natural Gas Heater (Low NOx Required in CA?)
Confer curve step with Outside ladder (until I build a deck)

30x36 step pad

Oh and a TF-100 test kit (how often do I need to replace this?)

robot cleaner type?
lights? rj or ???

Also is there anything I can insert into the pool for a "temporary 1 year shallow end"

Thanks

Last edited:
I think overall you've spec'd out some good items! I like the Stainless service panel on that pool. I've been shopping around to upgrade from our 26'x52" intex. I will say that I think you're pool heater may be undersized--but that is for me up near Seattle which likely has cooler weather and night temperatures compared to S. Cali. I have a 400k RayPak N.G. heater (its a great heater!) and get 2 to 3 F temp rise per hour in a pool that is slightly larger than the one you are considering. With a 150k btu/hr heater, you would get less temp rise per hour for sure. For a robot cleaner I'm considering the Maytronics Dophin E10 (Dolphins seem to be well liked on this forum) which is about $500 new or $400 refurbished through poolpartz.com. I'm also looking at pools at royalswimmingpools.com. I'm sure others will chime in here too. Good luck! I look forward to following this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks about the tip for the heater. Temps are 60's at night summer, low 50's occasionally 40's winter.
Don't know anything about anything really. Hayward vs RayPak. timers for both pump and a timer on SWG.

I am in over my head, but I need to get my 11 year old with autism back into a pool for therapy. Obviously everything else is shut down.

Welcome Brian.
I am in over my head
You are luckier than most people. You found yourself here *before* you had bad habits that caused problems. Half the time it’s harder for the experts to undo people’s bad habits than it is to fix the green pool.

with the right test kitTest Kits Compared managing your pool can be one of the easier parts of your day.

start here to be on your way ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry. Read it. Reread it. Think it over. Ask questions. Read it again. It seems like a lot at first but once all the terms start to make sense it’s really easy.

Reactions: kimkats and denhajm
I am about to purchase my 1st AGP, I don't count the $300 intex , Hopefully my info is in my signature.

I am in So. Cal and haven't broken ground yet. Like to get started while I wait for deliveries.

What size plumbing do I use 3" 2" 1.5" ? Will it change from pump to heater to swg? Flex or rigid?
What order? Skimmer-Pump/filter combo-heater-swg-return? Where do I need check valves? Jandy valves? Diverters?

As I have said in my other post. I know nothing about anything besides that I have a lot to learn :)

Any other unsolicited advice is welcome.

wall foam doesn't really insulate, most heat loss is from surface evaporation, solar cover is best for that, also they sometimes slip and don't stay in place so you have weird lumps. doesn't protect from rust, doesn't protect liner from punctures and in fact may make it easier to puncture.

ladder/stair pads hide dirt and can be a source of algae outbreaks, they also slide around and don't stay put. if there is a rock or pebble under your ladder to make a hole it can just as easily be under your stair pad. best use of my big stair pad was putting it outside the pool as a sort of rug over the dirt. but not recommended for that either as they get really hot in the sun LOL.

Reactions: denhajm

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much! I keep going back and forth on the wall foam-- I seem to have seen half and half in TFP. The ladder pad warning makes sense. (Frankly as does your wall foam argument-but I am still torn).

Break dirt in the next day or two (I hope). Just gotta figure out how to get the plumbing from pool to pump etc. and back to pool.
Along with electrical. Do I need to get a GFCI breaker for my panel as well GFCI outlets by the pump?

As for "putting it outside the pool as a sort of rug over the dirt", ---> any brilliant non-expensive ideas a path for keeping dirt out of the pool? My teacher's salary budget is being over stretched as it is at the moment. But as I said at some point -- this will be sensory therapy for my son with autism, hopefully for many years to come. [That's why the heater in So. Cal :) ]

Thanks to all at TFP-- This sight has been, and I am sure will continue to be, a godsend.

Break dirt in the next day or two (I hope). Just gotta figure out how to get the plumbing from pool to pump etc. and back to pool.
Along with electrical. Do I need to get a GFCI breaker for my panel as well GFCI outlets by the pump?
Thanks to all at TFP-- This sight has been, and I am sure will continue to be, a godsend.
Depends on your county's code requirements. It should be easy to look up. In my county only GFI outlets were required at the pad when the pool was built almost 20 yrs ago, but I'm sure that has changed.

electricity is my eyes-glaze-over topic. can't seem to get it, it all seems like dangerous magic to me.

cheap dirt protection: walmart sometimes carries 12 x 12 concrete pavers that look pretty good set on some sand or level dirt. they crack easy so make sure they are set right. I have a dozen under my exit stairs as a little "patio' with a chair for towels or clothes. have a plastic water container that holds less than a quart tied to the ladder for rinsing feets right there. just dip out some pool water - beats a wading pool or bin that gets full of dirt and grass. a few more squares for stepping stones or get (or make) some round ones

indoor outdoor rugs are pretty cheap, same type of set up can be done. astro turf, plain old cardboard works for a while. sheet of plywood.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.