Can return cause pressure to rise by 5psi?

Apr 24, 2014
St. Louis
Got everything up and running today, and noticed when I took the standard eyeball 1 inch return fitting off my pressure dropped from 15psi to 10psi. Is this normal?
I have a powerful pump (2 speed) and if it’s on high it does this. I might look into making my own return.

Absolutely if you have only one return. Why do you need to run the pump at high speed?

Absolutely if you have only one return. Why do you need to run the pump at high speed?
I only run on high speed when adding chemicals or vacuuming or to get it mixed up quick. I thought about making my own return with a 90 degree angle or 45 if I can find instructions on here where someone has done something similar. The existing one is a 3/4 or maybe 1 inch, I’m not home to measure.
Does that hurt my system for the pressure to go up that much? I am going to purchase a 1 inch return and see the difference, I just don’t want any long term affects on my system with that much difference! I have never noticed that.

The standard eyeball on the Hayward skimmer and return kits is 3/4" that might be what you have, here's the larger 1" you can swap in.

Thank you! I will try that one or possibly make my own.

Your piping is probably good for 300-400 PSI. Your filter has a pressure rating on it that should never be exceeded. Mine is 50 PSI, to give you an idea of ballpark range for that. Your pump is designed to handle as much pressure as it makes, as long as you don't have any extreme/unusual design elements (like trying to use several feet of half inch PVC pipe at the filter outlet). 15 PSI is not approaching any design limits.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.