Can I use Pow Pow for SLAMing?

Sauce

Mar 21, 2020
AZ
I have a pebble tec pool w/ SWG & DE Filter with a black algae longer term problem. Many Questions:

1) Can I use Pow Pow for my SLAM
2) Will SLAMing get rid of the hard black algae shell and roots over time
3) Thinking of draining and pressure washing. Would this help?
4) Once drained, should I use a muriatic acid or liquid chlorine on the many spots embedded in the pebble tec

I have used Chlorine Pucks and a wire brush and that has knocked it down but would like a more long tern solution. Thoughts? Dan

If 'Pow Pow' is Leslies Power Powder plus, that is Calcium Hypochlorite. That product should be illegal to sell in Arizona. Your fill water is all ready high in Calcium and with evaporation is a major issue for pools in our area.

Use liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Arizonarob
Hi - I don't have my own test kit. And yes, it is Leslie's Pow Pow. So already, I know not use Calcium Hypochlorite. I do typically drain my pool yearly and usually don't add much of anything else. Acid and a little phos-free which I guess is No-Phos from Leslie's now.

Welcome to TFP!

Black algae doesn't just show up, it was a long term neglect of proper chlorine levels which caused it to grow. Read up about black algae in this Pool School article to get you going, Black Algae - Trouble Free Pool.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? You will need one to resolve your pool issues.

Just saw your answer above about the test kit, you will need it for sure. Took too long to post, busy around here.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, and generally it is something bad. An example is your "Pow Pow" which is horrible in AZ. Worse will be the next thing they suggest like Green to Clean. All of this stuff will put you in a worse spot. The only two things you should buy from a pool store is liquid chlorine if they offer it and Muratic Acid if their price is better than Lowes.

I will tell you, it didn't get the algae overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

So, welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: wireform
Hi and welcome Dan!! So sorry to hear you have black algae! BOOOOOOOOOO HISSSSSSSSS! Lets get it GONE!!!

So what is Pow Pow?

Do you have your own test kit?

Want to know these answers before we go any further.

Kim:kim:
Leslie's Calcium Hypo
Hi and welcome Dan!! So sorry to hear you have black algae! BOOOOOOOOOO HISSSSSSSSS! Lets get it GONE!!!

So what is Pow Pow?

Do you have your own test kit?

Want to know these answers before we go any further.

Kim:kim:
Leslie's Calcium Hypochloride Shock - now I know not to add this.........
And working on getting a test kit too

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If 'Pow Pow' is Leslies Power Powder plus, that is Calcium Hypochlorite. That product should be illegal to sell in Arizona. Your fill water is all ready high in Calcium and with evaporation is a major issue for pools in our area.

Use liquid chlorine.

Use liquid chlorine.
Bought some today. Thank you to everyone for all the help and insight so far. Dan

Welcome to TFP!

Black algae doesn't just show up, it was a long term neglect of proper chlorine levels which caused it to grow. Read up about black algae in this Pool School article to get you going, Black Algae - Trouble Free Pool.

Do you have one of the recommended test kits yet? You will need one to resolve your pool issues.

Just saw your answer above about the test kit, you will need it for sure. Took too long to post, busy around here.
It is a long term problem and I have just owned the home for a year. So learning more and more. I appreciate everyone's input. I am working on getting a test kit.

My first suggestion is to stop going to the pool store. Their only response it to sell you something, and generally it is something bad. An example is your "Pow Pow" which is horrible in AZ. Worse will be the next thing they suggest like Green to Clean. All of this stuff will put you in a worse spot. The only two things you should buy from a pool store is liquid chlorine if they offer it and Muratic Acid if their price is better than Lowes.

I will tell you, it didn't get the algae overnight and it will take time to clear. But, we can teach you how to get it sparkling and keep it that way for a lot less money than the pool store.

Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. Plus, the results of their "testing" is used to convince you that you need to buy things. Why do you think that testing is free?

But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF-100 Test Kit ™ and at least include the XL Option . That will give you what you need while you are clearing the pool, and probably enough reagents for a couple of years normal use.

While you wait for it to get delivered, you have a homework reading assignment. Start with these:

Please don't go back to the pool store for a test kit. To effectively practice the TFPC methods, the FAS/DPD chlorine test is essential. The TF-100 Test Kit ™ has this test while very few other kits do. The kits sold at the pool store generally won't won't cut it, but be careful pool store employees are known to say “it's the same thing”. Generally it's not!

Continue brushing and running the filter, cleaning the filter as necessary.

So, welcome to TFP!!
Hi Tim :) Thank you for all the help and advice. Working on a test kit. Already bought liquid Chlorine today and took back the Pow Pow

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.