Can I save this diverter valve?

May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
someone stepped on my pipes and broke check valves.... I've cut away the broken ones. There is a remaining diverter valve which isn't broken, but has a 2" pipe inside (where I cut off).

Is there any way to save this diverter valve? either by:
1. remove the two inches of the 2" pipe hat is glued inside?
2. put a pipe within the 2" pipe?
3. put a boot or similar over the entire opening?

I have access to Home Depot today, but not a place where I can get a new diverter valve....

diverter.jpg

David,

Valves are made so that the inside is 1.5" and the outside is 2".. or the inside is 2" and the outside is 2.5".. So you can use either to make the valve work.

The also make a drill bit tool called a "Hub saver" that will cut the broken pipe inside, and leave the original valve material..

Thanks,

Jim R.

On Jandy valves the outside dimension would accept a 2 1/2“ pvc coupling. You could then put a short stub of 2 1/2” pvc inside the coupling and then a reducer back to 2” pvc. Not pretty but it would save your valve.

That valve is some other brand than Jandy so I don’t know if the outside dimensions are the same.

Thanks. I think it may have been a Hayward, but the outside does measure 2 1/2. Unifrtunutale local Lowes and HD dorn't have any 2 1/2 fittings. I found a 3" only.

Can you kindly share a link to the Hub Saver tool? never heard of that....

Other option is 2" PVC pipe extender. A few Ace Hardware stores stock these in my area. It will slip inside of the 2" stuck in the valve.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes plumbers assemble valves, elbows, and couplers tightly together without much PVC between them to cut into. That requires you to remove a large section of plumbing before you get to a piece of PVC pipe that you can put a coupler onto.

A "hub saver" or "socket saver" is a "drill bit" kind of device that allows you to drill out a 1.5" or 2" pipe that is glued inside a valve body or connector.

See this page at plumbingsupply.com for pictures of how their PVC Fitting Savers work.

Home Depot sells a less expensive 1-1/2 in. Socket Saver by JONES STEPHENS.

Pasco has a PVC Ram Bit like the Jones Stephens socket saver.

There are videos on YouTube showing how a socket saver works. See

and

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.