Can I save this diverter valve?


Active member
May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
someone stepped on my pipes and broke check valves.... I've cut away the broken ones. There is a remaining diverter valve which isn't broken, but has a 2" pipe inside (where I cut off).

Is there any way to save this diverter valve? either by:
1. remove the two inches of the 2" pipe hat is glued inside?
2. put a pipe within the 2" pipe?
3. put a boot or similar over the entire opening?

I have access to Home Depot today, but not a place where I can get a new diverter valve....



Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX

Valves are made so that the inside is 1.5" and the outside is 2".. or the inside is 2" and the outside is 2.5".. So you can use either to make the valve work.

The also make a drill bit tool called a "Hub saver" that will cut the broken pipe inside, and leave the original valve material..


Jim R.


Silver Supporter
Jan 15, 2021
Redwood City, Ca
Pool Size
Liquid Chlorine
On Jandy valves the outside dimension would accept a 2 1/2“ pvc coupling. You could then put a short stub of 2 1/2” pvc inside the coupling and then a reducer back to 2” pvc. Not pretty but it would save your valve.

That valve is some other brand than Jandy so I don’t know if the outside dimensions are the same.


TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
Use a 2.5" coupling or 90 on the outside and then use a 2.5" x 2" bushing to reduce back to 2".


Active member
May 12, 2015
Dallas, Texas
Thanks. I think it may have been a Hayward, but the outside does measure 2 1/2. Unifrtunutale local Lowes and HD dorn't have any 2 1/2 fittings. I found a 3" only.

Can you kindly share a link to the Hub Saver tool? never heard of that....

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support


Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Sometimes plumbers assemble valves, elbows, and couplers tightly together without much PVC between them to cut into. That requires you to remove a large section of plumbing before you get to a piece of PVC pipe that you can put a coupler onto.

A "hub saver" or "socket saver" is a "drill bit" kind of device that allows you to drill out a 1.5" or 2" pipe that is glued inside a valve body or connector.

See this page at for pictures of how their PVC Fitting Savers work.

Home Depot sells a less expensive 1-1/2 in. Socket Saver by JONES STEPHENS.

Pasco has a PVC Ram Bit like the Jones Stephens socket saver.

There are videos on YouTube showing how a socket saver works. See


Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.