Can I pre-dilute CYA?

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Celina, Tx
I need to add CYA. Last time I used a nylon knee high and squeezed...but it got a hole and some CYA powder went down the side of the pool. I think it left a streak down the side and bottom...maybe it's just my eyes, but I don't want any chance of that again. Can I just pre-dilute the CYA in a 5 gallon bucket and then slowly add to the pool by floating the bucket?

It doesn't dissolve very quickly without some erosion going on. A sock in the skimmer basket works best, and you can squeeze it in the skimmer basket. You could also buy liquid CYA.

Thanks! I went ahead and put 2 pounds in a nylon and just did the squeezing in the 5 gallon bucket of pool water. As it dissolved I floated the bucket, added more water to dilute and slowly let what had disolved go into the pool. Add more pool water, squeeze, float bucket...repeat about 6 times and got it done. That first CYA experience has me totally gun shy about the chemicals...now I take probably WAY longer than necessary to add chemicals...but better safe than sorry. ?‍♀️

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.