Can I pre-dilute CYA?

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Dallas, Tx
I need to add CYA. Last time I used a nylon knee high and squeezed...but it got a hole and some CYA powder went down the side of the pool. I think it left a streak down the side and bottom...maybe it's just my eyes, but I don't want any chance of that again. Can I just pre-dilute the CYA in a 5 gallon bucket and then slowly add to the pool by floating the bucket?

zea3

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2009
Houston, Texas
It doesn't dissolve very quickly without some erosion going on. A sock in the skimmer basket works best, and you can squeeze it in the skimmer basket. You could also buy liquid CYA.

Poolmama!

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
Feb 20, 2019
Dallas, Tx
Thanks! I went ahead and put 2 pounds in a nylon and just did the squeezing in the 5 gallon bucket of pool water. As it dissolved I floated the bucket, added more water to dilute and slowly let what had disolved go into the pool. Add more pool water, squeeze, float bucket...repeat about 6 times and got it done. That first CYA experience has me totally gun shy about the chemicals...now I take probably WAY longer than necessary to add chemicals...but better safe than sorry. ?‍♀