Gold Supporter
May 22, 2018
Elmhurst, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I know the best way to add CYA is in a skimmer sock placed in the skimmer. However, we are waiting for our pool company to start up the equipment and I'd like to get some stabilizer in the water. Is it okay to dilute the CYA in a bucket of water and and then pour it slowly into the pool? I have an automatic cleaner running almost constantly so at least the water is moving a little. Thanks.

I thought from your previous thread that you have a bromine pool? CYA won't do anything in a bromine pool.

Or have you been draining the pool to convert to chlorine? Or a different pool?

Skimmer is not the best place as it'll be stuck in the filter upto a week before it gets into the water.
So…. Okay to dissolve the CYA in a bucket of water and pour it into the pool? I know it is very slow to dissolve, so I’m doing it over 1-2 days. Pump isn’t on yet, but automatic cleaner is running.

We've also seen some melted skimmers/plumbing if the pump stops.

For now, I'd soak the sock(s) in a large bucket. Squeeze them into the pool once they're mushy and then brush well after.

Reactions: borjis and mgtfp
Let me forewarn you about soaking it in a bucket. I did just that two weeks ago for a client figuring I'll get a jump on the CYA when I open their pool. Guess what happened, after 24 hours it was a stiff mess as it soaked up water without any flow moving the stuff around. In the pool by the jet there's action on the product from the water hitting it so it doesn't have a chance to get packed down. I took the same solid mess and hung it in the pool the usual way and it took forever to disappear unlike when I put it straight in the pool.

Let me forewarn you about soaking it in a bucket. I did just that two weeks ago for a client figuring I'll get a jump on the CYA when I open their pool. Guess what happened, after 24 hours it was a stiff mess as it soaked up water without any flow moving the stuff around. In the pool by the jet there's action on the product from the water hitting it so it doesn't have a chance to get packed down. I took the same solid mess and hung it in the pool the usual way and it took forever to disappear unlike when I put it straight in the pool.
When you say you put it straight in the pool do you mean that you broadcast the CYA into the deep end of the pool? I thought the “best practice” with CYA was to put it in a skimmer sock and hang it by a skimmer or return.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What wireform was referring to is that CYA in a sock will solidify into a brick if not agitated by flowing water.

My experience is that when thoroughly squishing the sock while submerging it into the water keeps the CYA powdery. When I'm in a hurry, then I tie the sock to a stick and drag the sock around the pool through the water. That releases the CYA pretty quickly into the water. Some of it will settle on the pool floor after a while, but a quick brushing will make that disappear quickly.

The CYA in Australia comes as a very fine powder rather then the coarser granules that seem to be the standard in the US.

Disadvantage of the powder is that it can brickify even more densely, but when avoiding that with above mentioned squishing while submerging method, it leaves the sock probably faster than granules would, before it gets a chance to rebrickify. So, my method might not work for you.

Reactions: Newdude
MG, it works for you because it's power and comes right of the sock as it travels in the water but here the granular needs to dissolve before it's fine enough for even squishing.

Yep, that's what I suspected. Wasn't sure because I'd never seen your granules.

Thanks for the help guys. This whole issue came up because our pool company has been sooooo slow to open our pool this year. They started on 5/5 and we still don't have the pump running.... hopefully tomorrow. I have been trying to slowly dissolve the CYA in a bucket, using hot water when possible and stirring diligently, then pouring a bit into the pool. This has been going on for 4-5 days as the CYA is very slow to dissolve in this manner. It's not a hard brick at the bottom of the bucket, but there is still CYA in there after doing this for this long. Hopefully tomorrow we have water moving and I can get the rest of it into a sock and into the pool by placing it in front of a skimmer or return. Thanks again.

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.