Can I leave my Chlorine level high over winter?

8ightiesfan

May 26, 2020
Canberra, Australia
From Australia so now entering the winter period.

I recently shocked our pool to clear a small green algae outbreak and now it is crystal clear and well balanced, except the chlorine level is still very high around 13ppm.

Now that the pool will not be swum in again until September can I just leave the Chlorine level high? Will this cause any damage to the pool or equipment? I am just thinking of leaving the Chlorinator at a normal level and let the Chlorine level drop slowly to help keep the pool sanitary.

Thanks

Test strips don't cut it but if you believe them, that is up to you.

You should check out Clear Choice Labs. They have proper test kits available in Australia.

Test strips don't cut it but if you believe them, that is up to you.

You should check out Clear Choice Labs. They have proper test kits available in Australia.

Thanks, I have been looking into a more complex test kit than the 4in1 I use now. I will check them out.

In answer to my question, assuming CYA is ok which I will confirm, will leaving the FC level high cause any long term issues?

I assume a 'OK' CYA is something around 30-50. If so, it is fine. Nothing will occur.

From Australia so now entering the winter period.

I recently shocked our pool to clear a small green algae outbreak and now it is crystal clear and well balanced, except the chlorine level is still very high around 13ppm.

Now that the pool will not be swum in again until September can I just leave the Chlorine level high? Will this cause any damage to the pool or equipment? I am just thinking of leaving the Chlorinator at a normal level and let the Chlorine level drop slowly to help keep the pool sanitary.

Thanks
I sure did!! I closed my pool at SLAM level (20 ppm since my CYA was 50) as late as I could in the fall and would periodically add a little liquid chlorine a few days a month when the water wasn’t frozen and use a brush to swirl it around (I did not use a winter cover.) You don’t lose as much FC in the colder temperatures, especially if you are covering your pool. But no regrets here. Easiest spring “opening” ever!

Last edited:
I sure did!! I closed my pool at SLAM level (20 ppm since my CYA was 50) as late as I could in the fall and would periodically add a little liquid chlorine a few days a month when the water wasn’t frozen and use a brush to swirl it around (I did not use a winter cover.) You don’t lose as much FC in the colder temperatures, especially if you are covering your pool. But no regrets here. Easiest spring “opening” ever!

Frozen pool!!!? We don't get that cold here ? Great to know I can maintain a high FC level and adjust it down when it warms up. Thanks

• Love
Reactions: thefloatqueen
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.