Can i drain my pool through the pool filter drain?

eugchen

Feb 4, 2022
los angeles
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
im having high CYA issues from pucks and want to drain some water but not sure how to. ive been told i can turn off my pump, unscrew the drain circled below on the pool filter and then turn pump on and water will leak out? is this ok?

pool drain2.jpgpool drain2a.jpg

Attachments

• pool drain.jpg
    pool drain.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 6
Where do you expect all the water you are draining from the filter to flow to?

You don’t want to flood your equipment pad.

Reactions: Mdragger88
ajw22---good point. guess it depends how fast the water comes out. i have a drain about 10 ft away that the water should flow into.

side question---if i dont drain the pool and just start adding liquid chlorine, wont water evaporate gradually, thereby reducing the water as well?

ajw22---good point. guess it depends how fast the water comes out. i have a drain about 10 ft away that the water should flow into.

side question---if i dont drain the pool and just start adding liquid chlorine, wont water evaporate gradually, thereby reducing the water as well?
If you have to drain some, just get a sump pump from the hardware store. Much easier and safer and you can just direct the output hose where you want the water to go

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
115 according to Leslie Pools. will get it tested tomorrow again.
That is about the high end of what Leslie can test.

Your CYA may be higher. You need your own test kit to get an accurate value.

Reactions: Mdragger88
What they said ☝️☝️☝️☝️
If it’s truly that high or higher you need a large water exchange.
The no drain water exchange is the best way to accomplish that in the summer heat/high uv.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.