Calling all CircuPool RJ series owners, need you real world experiences

It's easy to over-analyze things when we're talking about a decent investment in $$$$. I admit I have been doing the same in typical TFP (OCD) fashion. :hammer: But in my case, I've realized the following:
- With my RJ-45 previously set to 30% running 24/7, I expect ~ 4 ppm of FC
- My daily FC usage is lower than that; right now; about 1-2 ppm
- The past couple days I did see a slight increase in my FC, which supports a 24 hr output of 4 ppm but lower consumption rate.
- I'll admit, my first few FC tests this week have been a bit hasty (old habits), so there may be a slight margin for error; I'll watch more closely the next few days for better comparison.
- Because my work schedule has been wacky, I tested my FC at varied times which didn't help for comparisons.
- I also haven't quite hit my ideal CYA target (70); still creeping-up on that with more stabilizer added today.

So today, I lowered my SWG output to 20% with an expected 24-hr FC return of ~ 2.7. More than I should need right now since my water temp dropped, but I'll try that for a few days to see how it holds. With liquid chlorine and my dosage amount, my FC was extremely predictable. I expect that to happen with my RJ-45 once I get consistent with FC testing and reach my CYA goal of 70 for evaluation purposes.

Updates to my original post;
  1. Did official OCLT and passed with flying colors; no CL loss overnight, no CCs. Pump nor SWG running that night of test. So as suspected by my multiple periodic testing, my water is about as good as it gets (phosphates are 200 as previously described). Other chem number in my original post still the same, except FC at 7 at time of test.
  2. The RJ45+ is producing CL, but I am not yet convinced that the amount of CL being produced is as advertised. I did an OCLT with the pump and SWG running. Start of test FC=5, RJ45 ran for 7hrs, 30% generation, water temp at beginning per RJ45 was 71.6 and water temp at finish 68.9 (nights are still cool here in Vegas). Crack of dawn result test showed FC of 6. Pool Math said should have produce 2 FC. Most might say close enough but if you couldn't tell already like, Pat above, I am OCD so I wanted to see FC gain 2 not 1.
  3. Less important the RJ45 salt is measuring 500 ppm below with the k-1766 (3300 for RJ45 and 3800 for k1766). Seems like this is the expected low reading of the RJ45
Conclusions (so far):
The RJ45 is definitely producing CL. However I am still not convinced yet that it's producing CL at the rate the RJ45 is supposed to for my pool variables. I am guessing / hoping at this point that water temperature is playing a role. At 70 degrees water and above I think the RJ45 is more likely to produce as advertised based on my many tests/measurements. (Note, CircuPool seems to suggest more like 65 ish is the minimum water temp for advertised performance) Also I am taking water temp measurements from 3 different devices so pretty confident the RJ45 water temp reading is within 1 or 2 degrees.

Also it appears people who bought Circupool SWGs last year or prior are happy with the performance. Appears that us folks who bought this year are getting various levels of performance per advertised capabilities.

I'll post again with additional test results, weather next week should have the water temp well into the 70s.

I agree that water temp is a bit low. It’s certainly not under 60, but it is still pretty cold and low water temp can affect the output. I might wait a little while until the water is well into the 70’s and repeat your test.

Additionally, when you did the chlorine tests, did you use a 10ml sample or a 25ml sample. I might suggest using a 25ml sample for this which will reduce the margin of error and also give better resolution on the reading.

Finally, how confident are you in that 9k gal number? If you actually have more water in the pool than you think then it could be that your FC will go up by less than you expect. When you use poolmath for other chemical additions do they seem accurate or are they a bit low as well?

You RJ owners, do you feel the feature of clear cell is such a big Deal? Im kinda liking the Circupool Universal 40 with white cell now only $850 for my 23000 Gallon Pool. Been around longer and perhaps tried and true?? opinions

I just installed the Edge 40 about 3 weeks ago. Average water temp then was 68-73. I started it off at around 60% and the next day my FC went up to around 13! I actually had to turn it off for a few days to let the FC drop. When it return to approx 6 ppm I turned it back on at about 27% for 13 hrs and it’s been holding 6-7 for the last few weeks.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with it so far. The only thing I hate about the Edge is that the boarder of it lights up and at night and distracts our landscape lights. Simple fix, just moved it and mounted behind the filter and now you can’t see it🤣.

Reactions: markayash
I just installed the Edge 40 about 3 weeks ago. Average water temp then was 68-73. I started it off at around 60% and the next day my FC went up to around 13! I actually had to turn it off for a few days to let the FC drop. When it return to approx 6 ppm I turned it back on at about 27% for 13 hrs and it’s been holding 6-7 for the last few weeks.

Overall, I’m extremely happy with it so far. The only thing I hate about the Edge is that the boarder of it lights up and at night and distracts our landscape lights. Simple fix, just moved it and mounted behind the filter and now you can’t see it🤣.
It is bright, I have mine in a pool room and half the time when I go in I don't need the overhead light.

I don’t remember why I went with the RJ+ over the standard but it was from advice here. Think the controller had some extra features. Also at the time there were some killer discounts I don’t see anymore. I think I paid RJ 20 price for the RJ 30.

I had some problems maintaining FC initially, but I found that when hot out, it works better just running 100 percent and adjusting the pump run time. Uses less power that way too. When you set it to 50 percent, it’s not work at half capacity it’s working a few min on and a few min off. In any case, during warmish weather like this I have to turn it way down or else my FC goes near 20 and up. It’s set to 30 percent right now. I put it in about a year ago and I’m very happy with it. Should have done it years ago. As a matter of fact I’m about to replaster and not looking forward to manually chlorinating for a while as these guys are saying no salt for 28 days.

You RJ owners, do you feel the feature of clear cell is such a big Deal?
I'm not an RJ owner, but my system does have a clear cell. It's nice to be able to see that's it's generating chlorine gas and to check the cell for scale, but I wouldn't miss it. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. Just my 2 cents...

Reactions: markayash
Yeah the clear doesn’t matter to me either. Cool to see the fog and know it’s working but that’s what the FC test is for. No cool glowing lights on mine either!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm not an RJ owner, but my system does have a clear cell. It's nice to be able to see that's it's generating chlorine gas and to check the cell for scale, but I wouldn't miss it. It wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me. Just my 2 cents...
It you want a clear cell and looking at the edge you can take the blue "covers" off. Its just a snap one plastic cover that protects it I guess :)

Reactions: Rancho Cost-a-Lotta
Finally, how confident are you in that 9k gal number? If you actually have more water in the pool than you think then it could be that your FC will go up by less than you expect. When you use poolmath for other chemical additions do they seem accurate or are they a bit low as well?

OP’s signature says 14.5k gallons, so it appears that may have been the answer.

Reactions: ccbill
You RJ owners, do you feel the feature of clear cell is such a big Deal? Im kinda liking the Circupool Universal 40 with white cell now only $850 for my 23000 Gallon Pool. Been around longer and perhaps tried and true?? opinions
I liked the feature but mostly decided based on $/lb cl production and DIY warranty. My RJ 30+ Perforance has been superb so far - 3 years at 40%. Next pool will likely use the same series.

Hope this helps.

Chris

They all work great. IMHO the difference in the Edge is it produces Chlorine the whole time and lowers power vs running at wide open for 50% then off 50%..

But to be honest once you get it dialed in ( don't make the same mistake some of us have done and run FC at the Min ) you will set it and forget it. The first few months I was testing FC and noticed it was 7 everyday. Then wen out of town for July 4th for 10 days. Very hot and rained here. Came home to a clear pool and it as still 7 :)
I get 2 gallons of acid from home depot and just pour a little in every week or 2, I have a water fall so it creeps up slightly

Also a SWG pool feels sooo much better so a FC of 7 or even 9 doesn't feel sticky like a tablet fed pool does

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.