Calculating my electrical costs

Can anyone point me to how I could determine how much electric my pool pump is using per hour?

Trying to do some math on the break even point on a VSP

See Pool Pump Tools here --> Hydraulics 101 - Have you lost your head?

Take volts x amps = watts, watts / 1000 = kilowatts, kilowatts x hours running = KWH's (kiolwatt/hours), KWH's x your electric cost per KWH = cost.

You can figure it by any time frame you want (hour, day, week, month, etc.). It gets a little trickier if your electric utility has stepped rates. Then you have to figure out when the pump will be running and what the breakdown of charges will be.

How Much Does My Pool Pump Cost to Run? - INYOPools.com

Hydraulics play a big role.
We have fairly long runs (~120ish foot on average) for returns, skimmers and drains so we used (2) 2” inch lines for skimmers, (2) 2” inch lines for returns and (1) 3” inch line on main drain - for each pump - to keep head loss to a minimum.

Running the pump at lower rpm has a dramatic affect on the watts vs gallons moved.

We have kind of settled on 2,000 rpm for 24x7 run time.

All that said, this is functionally just another data point as head loss varies from pool to pool.

The flow-vis shows 45 gpm while using 441 watts of power. So 9.8 watts per GPM?[emoji38]. Is that even a thing?

So two of these pumps running 24/7 moves about 130k gallon per day.
882 watts per hour at 8 cents a kWh = $1.69 a day.

Hope this helps...
ba8bb09ff1dcad86dbeac2555c48a520.png

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.