Calculate amount liquid acid to liquid chlorine?

Blowout

May 13, 2012
San Jose, CA
I've just installed a Stenner pump/tank for chlorine dispense and everything is working fine. Running 15 min/day with fixed rate pump and free chlorine is stable at 5ppm.

Still have to manually add liquid acid regularly so looking to automate that as well and in the information gathering phase now... likely use a Stenner pump/tank.

Contemplating using the same timer as the Chlorine pump and diluting the acid to a concentration that will offset the pH change from the Chlorine.

I understand that the CY and pool size becomes a variable in this calculation, so not sure if this is even a viable approach. Just trying to eliminate another timer and the need to adjust acid dispense time independent of the chlorine feeder.

Anyone know of a calculation chart of chlorine concentration to acid concentration? It would be really nice if it was a calculator, but might be asking too much there :)

How do folks normally approach acid and chlorine dispense?

I suppose another way would be to use a variable speed Stenner pump and adjust volume on the acid that way using the same timer. Any thoughts with this approach?

The pH rise that you need to combat has nothing to do with the chlorine you are adding. Bleach is effectively pH neutral in that while the pH may go up slightly when it is added, the pH will go back down when it is consumed.

The pH rise is more attributable to having plaster, aeration, and high TA driving up the pH. The pH change is going to vary depending on those factors. As the TA comes down (as it will with acid addition, unless your fill water TA is very high) the pH rise should slow down.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.