CAlcium is High

Jenn,

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

Rain doesn't add calcium. First, how did you arrive at those numbers?

From the CYA of 28 I'm going to guess it's from a pool store. Not much credence is given to pool store testing around here. While you would think that a "professional" would be the best, unfortunately in most cases it is quite the opposite. Between employees who blindly trust the word of chemical sales representatives and high school kids working in the pool store for the summer you end up with poor results from their testing. But, what can you do?? We base our pool care system on accurate testing and only adding what the pool needs, when it needs it. To do that you need your own accurate test kit. Order a TF100 test kit

What we teach is documented in our Pool School.

We generally suggest new members start with these three articles:

ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool

It would help if you listed any/all chemical you have put into the pool. Additionally, please edit your signature and add the following information so we can better frame our answers to you.

• List what test kit you use to test your water
  • The size of your pool in gallons
  • If your pool is an AG (above ground) or IG (in ground)
  • If it's IG, tell us if it's vinyl, plaster/pebble, or fiberglass
  • The type filter you have (sand, DE, cartridge)
  • If you know, tell us the make and model of your pump and filter.
  • List any other equipment you have: SWG, second pump, etc.
  • Please mention if you fill the pool from a well or are currently on water restrictions

While having your name there is nice (we can call you by name) the information in your signature will show up each time you post and it makes advice more accurate as we know what equipment we are dealing with.

So I have been using the TF100 Test kit for a few months now. My husband has recently used Maxx Strip Blast Media to remove a white scaling line around the pool. After using the product we cleaned the filters and vacuumed the pool to make sure nothing was left behind. Could I have a metals issue. Not sure how to check for that?

Then call your CYA 30, round up to the next multiple of 10 instead of eyeballing the in-between levels.

What makes you think you might have a metal problem? Where is Willis? Do you normally have hard water? What is the CH of your fill water? Have you been using Cal-Hypo?

So I have been using the TF100 Test kit for a few months now. My husband has recently used Maxx Strip Blast Media to remove a white scaling line around the pool. After using the product we cleaned the filters and vacuumed the pool to make sure nothing was left behind. Could I have a metals issue. Not sure how to check for that?

Well, the "Maxx Strip Blast Media" is actually Kieserite a magnesium sulfate mineral. I'm really bad at chemistry, but my gut tells me this is what has raised your CH reading. I'll forward this to Matt, one of our chemical guru's.

Why would you think you have a metal issue? Is there something going on that is is not in your original post, or is your concern just teh CH reading?

MaxxStrip is magnesium sulfate essentially. If your husband used a lot of it, your magnesium content could be higher than normal and that would throw off the CH test as the R-0010 additions are intended to remove magnesium from the water.

Here’s something to try - (note this is for a 10mL water sample)

Add 5-10 drops of R-0012 first
Then add 10 drops of R-0010
Add 3 drops of R-0011L
Then titrate with the R-0012 again until the final blue color is achieved.

Count ALL drops of R-0012 used.

Jenn,

You should post a full set of test results from your TF-100 kit. If calcium scaling is your primary issue, you can adjust your water chemistry to achieve a negative CSI which will help to eliminate and prevent calcium build-up. CA at 600 is high, but not unmanageable. The experts above will provide you with solid guidance.

Mike.

Oh and don’t freak out about 600ppm CH. May water is currently sitting at 1500ppm CH and I can still manage it ok ;)

Ok, Thank you everyone!

when I tested this morning this is what I got
Cl .5 we only use liquid chlorine
Ph 7.8
TA 80
CH 675
CYA 30

the Pool is cloudy. When I sweep the steps sometime the water turns brown.
Joyfulnoise I tested the way you suggested and got a 500; this was only using 5 drops of the 12 first
the I tested again with 10 drops if the 12 and got a result of 400. So what does this tel me?

Thank you everyone for helping me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Joyfulnoise I tested the way you suggested and got a 500; this was only using 5 drops of the 12 first
the I tested again with 10 drops if the 12 and got a result of 400. So what does this tel me?

Thank you everyone for helping me!

You are counting all of the drops of R-0012 added even the ones in the beginning, correct?

No, I did not add the ones in the beginning. So it didn’t change a thing, that means I still needed 26 drops to get blue.

Ok, so it doesn’t appear to be any metal interference (like copper or iron). Unfortunately, there’s no easy way to differentiate calcium hardness from magnesium hardness without buying an expensive test kit that measures Total Hardness (Mg + Ca) and Calcium Hardness separately.

I’d do as Tim suggests and get the water cleared up first. Then we can fool around with CH tests later. A CH of 600ppm is nothing to be alarmed over. It is still very easy to maintain balanced water with a CH that high.

I had my time scale cleaned recently and the water exchange got me down to 1240ppm. My plan is to do a series of partial drain and fills to get my CH down over the summer. I’d like to get below 500ppm if I can. One can certainly maintain high CH but it comes at the expense of more acid use and greater likelihood of tile scale. I’d like to go more than 3 years between tile cleaning.

I also recently added a water softener to my autofill line so my pool is now receiving only soft, calcium free water.

Here’s something to try - (note this is for a 10mL water sample)

Add 5-10 drops of R-0012 first
Then add 10 drops of R-0010
Add 3 drops of R-0011L
Then titrate with the R-0012 again until the final blue color is achieved.

Count ALL drops of R-0012 used.

Hey JoyfulNoise, I think you might copy/paste this response. You recently enlightened me to this 10ml test which I like very much. But left out one important part initially when you first told me about it.

You need to add to your copy/paste what you do after counting ALL drops of R-0012 used ;) .... Multiply them as 25ppm

And who's brainchild is this 10ml test variant?

Hey JoyfulNoise, I think you might copy/paste this response. You recently enlightened me to this 10ml test which I like very much. But left out one important part.

You need to add to your copy/paste what you do after counting ALL drops of R-0012 used ;)

And who's brainchild is this 10ml test variant?

It’s part of the Taylor test kit instructions. There is a procedure for both a high and low precision test.

However, this is nothing new; it’s simple chemistry-101. When you change the sample volume, you increase or decrease the precision of the titrant. In the DPD-FAS chlorine test, if you use a 10mL sample it’s 0.5ppm per drop of titrant. If you use a 25mL sample, it’s 0.2ppm/drop.

0.5 x (10/25) = 0.2

This is true for any of the tests. If you use a 250mL water sample to do the TA test, then you get -

10ppm/drop x (25/250) = 1 ppm/drop.

Only thing is, you have to scale everything else up - so you would need 20 drops of R-0007 and 50 drops of R-0008 indicator. So yes, you can get a more precise answer (or less precise if you prefer) but at the cost of more reagents used per test.

It’s part of the Taylor test kit instructions. There is a procedure for both a high and low precision test

I had to look and your right, it is there on the lid... having a dumb moment here :eek:. I haven't felt a need to look at the testing procedure panel on the test kits lid in way too many years. I just started doing it with the 25ml version, memorized that, and never read the panel again. opps. I've been wasting way to many drops.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.