Phoenix AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
Some pics of the demo we are in, the fire pit area I built, and our vision.

Attachments

• 20220117_140847.jpg
    20220117_140847.jpg
    886 KB · Views: 276
  • 20220117_140901.jpg
    20220117_140901.jpg
    780.5 KB · Views: 221
  • 20220117_140943.jpg
    20220117_140943.jpg
    734 KB · Views: 209
  • 20220115_193215.jpg
    20220115_193215.jpg
    686.9 KB · Views: 254
  • Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 282
Last edited:
We have all Hayward equipment in our soon to be built pool, but are not paying for automation at this time ($3k?)

So curious what the hassle is to add automation later on, if we have all compatible equipment. What is the cost? Am I making an error here saving $3k now to pay $5k later?

plan the work
and then work the plan
what are your local codes for shared trenches
and owner electrical and gas work
I'm getting gas, electric and water contractors in a group email and letting them handle the trenching. They all want inspections to pass so letting them talk to each other.

Reactions: aussieta
"ddog", welcome to TFP! :wave: You'll notice I combined your two build threads into one. Best we keep everything together, but feel free to post ANY of your build-related question to this thread. I also tweaked your thread title which might help.

As for being in panic mode - perfectly understandable. Even if you aren't doing an owner-build it's stressful. One step at a time. Lots of folks here with various background to help. For the automation question, it would help if you could provide a full listing of equipment you expect to have on the equipment pad. The more details the better as that can drive the type of automation.

dog,

The big problem with adding automation is not being able to connect things due to the decking.

A good example is a pool light. They have to be controlled by something. Either a switch, controller or automation. If you initially build the pool with a switch by the back door, and later install automation, you might not be able to run wires from the switch unless you dig up your new deck.

This type of problem will not be an issue if you plan for it.

I always recommend adding automation when you build the pool. It just makes the most sense. If you don't, you will have to add some kind of load center for all your pool equipment circuit breakers and then replace it with your automation system. In most cases the conduits and the wire length will not be the same.

Penny wise and pound foolish in my opinion.

Also.. Before an ounce of dirt is removed, you should decide exactly how you want your automation system to work. What is it you want it to do? Then your contractors can make sure that the plumbing, electrical and gas lines support how you want the pool to work

A very simple example: Let us say you have a waterfall and bubbler and want to be able to turn them on one at a time, or both at the same time, and controlled by automation. If they are plumbed using a single 3-way valve, (the normal way) it would manually work, but it would not work via automation. You need to know what you want before you start.

Thanks,

Jim R.

If you are doing a spa you are doing a disservice to yourself if you don't do the automation upfront. Find somewhere else to save 3k you will regret it if you don't. Ask me how I know?
Nothing like being in a spa and want to turn the heat up, jets on, waterfall on and have to get out ad stroll on over to the panel.

I agree with jonny that you will want automation with the spa. Out to dinner and want to get in after? No problem. Turn it on half way thru dinner and it will be hot for you when you get home. Want to jump in the spa after work? Turn it on be you head home. You turned the pump on high earlier in the day and you remembered while you’re laying in bed. No need to walk outside, just turn it off on your phone. Best $3000 spent.

As for o/b, don’t stress. We’ve done it twice and finished ours last February. I never thought about trenches. The subs know though. They dug their own. It all worked out. They aren’t going to do something on purpose that they know isn’t going to pass inspection. Take in all you can from here so you can know the general idea of what is going on so when something seems off you can ask on here or the subs. But for the most part, I got the subs in the order I needed them and let them do their thing. I was always there when they did their work and talked to most of them throughout the day. I watched as much as I could. I’m a stay at home mom so that was easy for me and my husband is our neighborhood UPS driver so he could come home if I needed him to. Take a deep breath. It won’t be as bad as you think it is.

Super random question, maybe not. We have two columns off our spa. How do those get formed? They are above the dig. Who does elevation work. Rebar?

And who does the exterior tile of those and the exterior of the elevated spa?

Our interior person does not. Who does? I'm lost here.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220121-003627_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 46

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dog,

The columns will most likely be done by the gunite crew. But everyone has to be involved.

The plumbing for water or gas has to be done.

The rebar guys have to do their thing.

The tile or coping guys have to add the coverings.

I did not do an owner build, so for me, this was all directed by the pool builder's on-site superintendent.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Zmann
you are talking about the columns where the fire bowls/ water feature ( not sure from pic) is
then those could be done with rebar and shotcrete or having a shotcrete foundation and CMU on top
but that should be an engineered design element with a detail when you get your plans

who is doing your engineering ?

Yeah I'm thinking of the exterior of the columns. Our tile person is just the waterline tile. So I assume the contractor we have do coping and the Travertine walkway will do that too.
you are talking about the columns where the fire bowls/ water feature ( not sure from pic) is
then those could be done with rebar and shotcrete or having a shotcrete foundation and CMU on top
but that should be an engineered design element with a detail when you get your plans

who is doing your engineering ?
Engineering is already done. Permits pulled and all, we break ground on the 31st. Just checking in on things I'm not 100% sure on.

Attachments

• Case_Donald 1.0_012.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_012.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 46
  • Case_Donald 1.0_005.jpg
    Case_Donald 1.0_005.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 45
Reactions: BigPapaSmurf
There should be a detail for that column and part of that tile is waterline if you go with the image, so I would figure the waterline guys could /should run that up and the spa exterior I would have them quote that also
unless you're supplying all the tile then I guess it does not matter ,, also check on waterproofing those areas elevated areas

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ddoggphx
Why wouldn’t your waterline tile guy do the tile on the columns? Did they say they wouldn’t? If they won’t or can’t, I think I would get a new tile guy. Our tile company was even offering to do the stone on our planter. They also ended up doing our plaster. I can send you their name if you’d like. If you send the plans in to companies they should bid everything they can do. We had a couple bids come back for more things than we were expecting, which I was glad for. We even had one company bid the entire pool, that’s why we know how much we saved.

Why wouldn’t your waterline tile guy do the tile on the columns? Did they say they wouldn’t? If they won’t or can’t, I think I would get a new tile guy. Our tile company was even offering to do the stone on our planter. They also ended up doing our plaster. I can send you their name if you’d like. If you send the plans in to companies they should bid everything they can do. We had a couple bids come back for more things than we were expecting, which I was glad for. We even had one company bid the entire pool, that’s why we know how much we saved.
I'm going with CDC for the interior and waterline tile. I'd love your tile company info, the more options the better.

I've been really confident about all the structural elements, but the tile and exterior things are for some reason confusing me.

I'm going with CDC for the interior and waterline tile. I'd love your tile company info, the more options the better.

I've been really confident about all the structural elements, but the tile and exterior things are for some reason confusing me.
I know the feeling. I'm having a difficult time getting multiple quotes on waterline tile (with step edge tile) and coping.

Reactions: ddoggphx
We almost went with CDC but changed at the last minute to use our tile people. I wanted smooth for the finish so was going to choose their quartz but I didn’t really want white because we had it before. I liked the colors of their Baja pebble but not the texture. I asked about their micro and he wouldn’t even talk to me about it. The company we used had Stonescapes micro and I loved it. I got the color and texture I wanted. It cost more than quartz but I got what I wanted.

Reactions: Zmann and ddoggphx
Layout is done. Michael Bolding does a great job and we cleaned up some silly things on the plan, moved the lights, fixed some elevation.

Imperial is out to begin excavation on Monday and I am stressing out because our access is still blocked by our gas meter. SW gas has still not given me a confirmation they can remove the meter so worse case scenario we will have to remove some of rhe neighbors wall. He is cool with it but a) whondoes that and b) how do they rebuild and whats rhe approx cost of that?

40" clearance by meter, 46" clearance at at gate area. They will use a triple mini to excavate.

Advice? Do I need to hire someone to take down the block by the neighbors gate? We are already planning to repair the little edging he has there (his pool company already broke it but I sure will do more damage).

20220126_115943.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.