Buying my Intex today!! OMG!!

We have a graded yard like yours. What we did was dig down some on the high spot. Then took retainer blocks and built it up with those, making sure the blocks were all level. Then we filled it with sand. If we ever decide we’re done with the pool we can fill it with pavers and have a nice big patio.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
That's a big job for someone who isn't familiar with leveling and the slope. Doing that by hand would take awhile... not to mention it'd kill your body. It looks to me that you're going to need to remove upwards of 3ft if dirt on the high side. That's a lot. If it were mine (and at my age now ;) ) I'd hire that job out. Good luck to ya.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
We used a bobcat to move the upper dirt. Make sure you use sand under the retaining blocks. Start at the lowest point and grab a level. You want them tight against each other and buried a little, for the first row. We did a little building of dirt on the lowest part so it didn’t take as much sand take the dirt from the top and add it to the bottom. Driving on it all the time for compaction.

Have you started to put it up yet? I've opened all the boxes. I love the improvements except the dual intakes, which I will be patching to install a thruwall skimmer(taken from my Summer Escapes that we just tossed after 4 seasons). I'm wondering if anyone has come across any issues I would want to be aware of before I get into putting ours up. Buffalo weather has not been cooperating.

We just started ground prep yesterday and my oh my this is gonna be fun. Backyard sits on a huge slope if you see my other thread. Now I’m struggling with what I need to buy exactly to do this job. I know I need a level, but what length?

@Meomarg What size level did you use? We just started digging yesterday and kind of need guidance lol

I’m also seeing conflicting information. Some are saying to start at the lowest point and others are saying start digging at the highest point and level down to the lowest. Which one is it? It’s driving us crazy lol

You want the final "ground" to be undisturbed as much as possible. Taking from the high to put on the lower is not a good idea as the loose dirt can spread out or get compacted by the water leading to the pool being un-level even after all of your hard work.

TFP suggests finding your lowest spot and taking dirt out to match that spot. Go slow and take it a bit at a time. Water will be your friend in this. It will make the dirt easier to move and will show you the low spots.

Kim:kim:

Some suggest laying rigid foam insulation under the pool. Is it necessary? Was worried that it may separate over time...

I have had the easy set pool, had to replace it (the first one I got was used and lasted for 10 years!). When I emptied the pool, I cut the old liner and used that as pad for the new pool

The foam pad HAS to be triple taped for that very reason. Down the middle the just on either side. The foam is not necessary. It is for foot comfort and making a smooth bottom. I have sand under my pool. My installer worked SO hard to get it smooth. He did a GREAT job!! Over time divots and such have formed. No biggie to me.

Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.