Buying a real pool, help with choice

foxbody

Jun 3, 2021
Beverly, MA
Any advice, tips, tricks, or learning is much appreciated!

I'm looking to upgrade from my 18' Intex / Bestway for next year and I feel like the pool buying experience is just a big sales pitch, with profit in mind first and the consumer 2nd. I've been very successful maintaining my current pool using the TFP methods but I feel I don't have a good grip on the AGP purchase experience and I'd like some advice. Should I buy? Should I learn more first? Should I walk and find another pool supplier? I feel there are not many close to me and this may be my only solid option.

Here's the details.

1. The pool store only carries Sharkline pools. Are these good? They claim they last 20+ years. I will link below.
2. They do not post prices online or in print. I went in person and sales rep wrote down on paper the price. Kinda odd.
3. Current pricing is $7,300 for a 20' round, plus $1,200 for install. I will probably get the 24' which was quoted "around $7,800".
4. 15x26 is $8,800 plus $1,950 install. More difficult to install apparently. I have room for either.
5. An included item is the POOL FROG 40K which adds minerals, which I've never done and I think is unnecessary and overly expensive. But it's included and lasts 6 months. Use and not refill after? It sounds expensive for replacement cartridges.

Plus tax. Plus delivery.

Should I look elsewhere? I trust this pool store with the quality of their products, not with chemicals (overpriced and excessive). I plan to continue the TFP method after pool install. Thanks all.

1. The pool store only carries Sharkline pools. Are these good? They claim they last 20+ years. I will link below.
It's a reputable brand. Often times you are stuck with whatever the local installers use so compare that to whatever else is available locally.
2. They do not post prices online or in print. I went in person and sales rep wrote down on paper the price. Kinda odd.
The prices have been so volatile that wouldn't bother me at all. It's much better not being surprised after planning ahead.
3. Current pricing is $7,300 for a 20' round, plus $1,200 for install. I will probably get the 24' which was quoted "around $7,800".
4. 15x26 is $8,800 plus $1,950 install. More difficult to install apparently. I have room for either.
I always vote as large as possible. Very few people have ever wished they went smaller.
5. An included item is the POOL FROG 40K which adds minerals, which I've never done and I think is unnecessary and overly expensive. But it's included and lasts 6 months. Use and not refill after? It sounds expensive for replacement cartridges
If it's part of a package, you may not get credited fairly by opting out. If so, take delivery but don't have it installed, and sell it on the side. You never want to add copper to a pool. One cartridge won't make it go south, but it puts you that much closer to going south one day.

Hang tight for more thoughts.
Good luck, congrats, and keep us posted.

It's a reputable brand. Often times you are stuck with whatever the local installers use so compare that to whatever else is available locally.

The prices have been so volatile that wouldn't bother me at all. It's much better not being surprised after planning ahead.

I always vote as large as possible. Very few people have ever wished they went smaller.

If it's part of a package, you may not get credited fairly by opting out. If so, take delivery but don't have it installed, and sell it on the side. You never want to add copper to a pool. One cartridge won't make it go south, but it puts you that much closer to going south one day.

Hang tight for more thoughts.
Good luck, congrats, and keep us posted.

Thanks for your responses!

As for options, there's two other pool stores in my area, but I don't think their quality is up to par. If you have a chance, their links are below
Namco

and a distant third place, Leslie's

I will take your advice and go as big as possible, after I clarify with town how much clearance I need from fences.

What's your thoughts on D.E.? They encouraged me to go with a DE system. If I understand correctly, DE systems filter much better than my current sand pump.

Lastly, a coworker mentioned going salt water pool. Better for the skin. Thoughts?

I've already lined up a tree trimming company so we can get more sun (currently gets shady after 1:30pm) as well as an electrician.
I can't wait to join the real AGP community! :)

What's your thoughts on D.E.? They encouraged me to go with a DE system. If I understand correctly, DE systems filter much better than my current sand pump.
Read How to select pool equipment - Further Reading

DE filter can be the best if you never get algae and have a place to dispose of the DE. DE filter can be a PITA if you get algae and it clogs quickly. If you get a DE filter, get a large one.

The quoted prices - is it just the pool and liner (other than the mineral system)? What are you getting for the price? Filter, pump, ladder system or anything else?

I just looked up our pool invoice and it came to about $6900 and that was last year and it did include the pool, unibead liner, step system and SWG. But that was last year end of season (August). They also included startup which was hard piping the filter, salt, sand for the filter and a couple of gallons of liquid chlorine. Prices go up every year and location matters as well. We paid $1300 to have it installed not including the base sand.

I would also suggest you look at your local requirements. We had a pool already which was taken down and requirements changed so I still needed an electrician to upgrade what was existing. I was told even if I didn't take the pool down the new pool would still need the electrical upgrade. Also be aware that in the past if you get an oval pool you may need fencing around the pool (this may have changed with ovals not having buttresses).

DE - I loved our old DE filter but it had grids and the dstore only sold Hayward and it has fingers, he also said that our township is teating waste DE as hazardous waste and I can no longer just discharge the DE. I now have a sand filter and it keeps the water just as good but I haven't had an issue yet with clarity. If I do I have 3 boxes of DE sitting in my garage to help the sand along! 😂 Salt - water does feel different but I'm not 100% convinced we should have went that way -yet! 🤔 I have yet to turn it on to do it's job since I've been using liquid chlorine and with a solar cover I've not used a lot of chlorine.

Big is good since you'll have more space in the pool. Also less mowing of the lawn!!!🤣

My experience last year shopping was going to 2 stores, getting a quote from both and going with the one we felt we got a better price and friendlier service.

there's two other pool stores in my area,
Namco stirs up HAPPY childhood memories (unrelated). But the pool store Namco sells Wilbar pools which are a top notch brand.

Leslie's appears to have their own model line but it would likely be made by one of the standard manufacturers.
What's your thoughts on D.E.?
I am a cartridge guy. No matter which filter you get, once it starts getting a little dirty, the crud trapped in there will filter finer than the filter itself. Your yard debris doesn't change with the filter you select, so IMO you physical yard determines your filtering capabilites.

Immediately after cleaning the DE will filter the finest, but not for long. All 3 filter well below what the eye can see anyway, so it's really nothing but bragging rights.

Get the filter that you consider less work to clean. That's what it really comes down to.
Lastly, a coworker mentioned going salt water pool. Better for the skin. Thoughts?
I love mine. If I hit powerball, I'd gift everyone on TFP a SWG.

Namco stirs up HAPPY childhood memories (unrelated). But the pool store Namco sells Wilbar pools which are a top notch brand.

Leslie's appears to have their own model line but it would likely be made by one of the standard manufacturers.

I am a cartridge guy. No matter which filter you get, once it starts getting a little dirty, the crud trapped in there will filter finer than the filter itself. Your yard debris doesn't change with the filter you select, so IMO you physical yard determines your filtering capabilites.

Immediately after cleaning the DE will filter the finest, but not for long. All 3 filter well below what the eye can see anyway, so it's really nothing but bragging rights.

Get the filter that you consider less work to clean. That's what it really comes down to.

I love mine. If I hit powerball, I'd gift everyone on TFP a SWG.

I have actually never cleaned a filter. Which is easiest to clean?
I currently have a sand filter that I SHOULD have cleaned at season start, but didn't. I've seen the cleaning process and it looks pretty simple. Not sure about DE.

On another note, the costs for a real pool are adding up and I'm getting a little gun shy here. My town requires a certified plot plan from a surveyor. $1,200! Also I need to be 10' away from back and side fences, so my pool selection just got cut down a bit. Can't go too big. $2,000 for tree pruning as our entire pool area is shaded by 1:30pm. Water won't warm up enough for wife to get in and that's important. Maybe have plumber install a natural gas heater. But I'm sure that's like $3k+ labor. Ouch!

Still cheaper than my in ground pool estimates I'm receiving of $80,000 - $100,000 !!!

I have actually never cleaned a filter. Which is easiest to clean?
I currently have a sand filter that I SHOULD have cleaned at season start, but didn't. I've seen the cleaning process and it looks pretty simple. Not sure about DE.

On another note, the costs for a real pool are adding up and I'm getting a little gun shy here. My town requires a certified plot plan from a surveyor. $1,200! Also I need to be 10' away from back and side fences, so my pool selection just got cut down a bit. Can't go too big. $2,000 for tree pruning as our entire pool area is shaded by 1:30pm. Water won't warm up enough for wife to get in and that's important. Maybe have plumber install a natural gas heater. But I'm sure that's like $3k+ labor. Ouch!

Still cheaper than my in ground pool estimates I'm receiving of $80,000 - $100,000 !!!
Make sure you know how much electrical, ground prep and installation are. Our new AG pool was about $11K with an existing pool ring down already. We had a previous pool that was taken down 3 years prior and we did nothing with the area

We went AG for the reason of cost. Our son got a quote in 2019 for an IG for $32K and we were willing to spend that money and up to about $50K. 2022 price for the same pool (maybe a couple of additional features) and it was $75K and the pool store said add another $15K to $25K for "other things". Our water is wet enough!😆

Make sure you know how much electrical, ground prep and installation are. Our new AG pool was about $11K with an existing pool ring down already. We had a previous pool that was taken down 3 years prior and we did nothing with the area

We went AG for the reason of cost. Our son got a quote in 2019 for an IG for $32K and we were willing to spend that money and up to about $50K. 2022 price for the same pool (maybe a couple of additional features) and it was $75K and the pool store said add another $15K to $25K for "other things". Our water is wet enough!😆

Excellent point. I'm struggling now already with some of the recently discovered costs. The town requires a land surveyor that costs more than 3 temporary pools! We have an electrician cousin that can do the electrical but unknown if it will run us $1k or $5k... Big variable.
It makes sense to have a small deck installed to make it easier to enter the pool - thousands more!

I'm figuring $20k AG and $80-$100k in ground :oops::sick:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
It makes sense to have a small deck installed to make it easier to enter the pool - thousands more
That's how I won the battle and lost the war last time. The Mrs wanted an above ground, which needed a fence in a previously open yard, and I would have wrapped it with a deck so we could enjoy watching the kids. I wasn't going to stand there leaning on the pool all the time. And the Mrs is vertically challenged so it would have gotten old even quicker for her.

But the ABG pool, fence and deck was going to cost me what friends had just spent on a medium sized inground. It was a no brainer to dig. Once I was going through the effort, I upgraded to a 20x40. Everything was GREAT, until I needed a patio and fence, both even more expensive with the bigger pool.

The $6k oval turned into a $60k backyard before i realized what happened.

Yikes! 😧

I’m glad we had our ingound pool built when we did (2004). All in was about $25k. We couldn’t afford to have it built now! 💰💰💰💰💰💰

Excellent point. I'm struggling now already with some of the recently discovered costs. The town requires a land surveyor that costs more than 3 temporary pools! We have an electrician cousin that can do the electrical but unknown if it will run us $1k or $5k... Big variable.
It makes sense to have a small deck installed to make it easier to enter the pool - thousands more!

I'm figuring $20k AG and $80-$100k in ground :oops::sick:
I had the land survey I think from closing the house 20+ years ago and found it in the permit paperwork from our last pool. I sometimes joke with my wife as we look at our neighbor's Intex pool that we probably should have done that this time. We never put a deck on the pool originally and we don't have one now, we had and have stairs vs a ladder and it's fine for us. Our exsisting pool electrical was no longer meeting code so that had to be updated. Yeah, the costs are expensive these days, we put our first AG pool up for about $6K 23 years ago and that included having the spot leveled with a Bobcat.

Reactions: newdude
Yikes! 😧

I’m glad we had our ingound pool built when we did (2004). All in was about $25k. We couldn’t afford to have it built now! 💰💰💰💰💰💰
I think it's post pandemic pricing. We walked into the pool store knowing my son got a quote for 16x32 vinyl IG at $32K 3 years prior. We were looking for the same size, may or may not have added a gas heater and a diving board so a deeper deep end. Things we knew we needed or wanted - 8 feet of concrete decking on 1 side for lounging vs the standard 3 feet so $$, need 5/6 foot fencing around it since we just have a chain link fence, gas line for heater, probably 240 volt for pumps and whatever... probably missed some things I'm sure. Yeah $100K sounds about right! Our water is great, we float and drink adult beverages. Water is clean! And I look over at my neighbor's pool that went through no inspections or anything and probably paid $500 for it and his water is just as wet as mine; my only advantage is his is always green and he can never use it. LOL!!! 🤣

Reactions: newdude
The quoted prices - is it just the pool and liner (other than the mineral system)? What are you getting for the price? Filter, pump, ladder system or anything else?

Just noticed your question now. The price includes their "deluxe pool package".
1hp perplex DE Filter, complete with hoses, base, clamps, UL plug
Resin safety or in-pool
wide-mouth skimmer
uni-bead print liner
weighted vacuum head, 12' telescopic pole
vacuum hose with 2 year warranty
skimmer
winter cover, 2yr warranty
10pk test strips
handbook, shock treatment, ph plus, total alkalinity, stabilizer, algaecide, mineral resevoir... all stuff I don't really need
no diving sign
chlorinator, hose, clamps
prevail chlorine back pac

Today they are offering a free upgrade to the 1.5hp Perplex DE filter system (from 1.0hp)
and a free robot vacuum ($700)

So I'm 75% sure I will do this. Biggest unknown is currently the electrical work that a cousin (master electrician) will do for us for a fraction of the price of hiring another pro. We need to upgrade our service from 100A to 150 or 200A as well. And then I want to run an electric heater for the wife. What's another $5k, right?

I think the biggest cost for running electricity is depending on where the pool is in relation to the house. My pool is far away and they used a Ditch Witch the first time around and used the existing conduit for the new pool. Look at Home Depot or other rental sites and see how much they are to rent for 4 hours or full day. They had a hard time going through tree roots with it 20+ years ago, things may have changed. Copper is also kind of expensive these days so running a lot of copper will drive up cost.

Check your township about DE, mine is now treating it as Hazardous Waste these days. I loved my last DE filter but I didn't want to deal with something considered "Hazardous Waste", don't want my backyard to be considered a toxic waste site!🤣

Get a 200 Amp panel, it probably will require new wiring to the incoming power to the house. Something to be aware of is a 200 Amp panel is large so make sure you have room. I had a 60 Amp panel originally and there is quite a difference in size.

I don't know how much a heater would be. We never considered a heater for an AG pool, solar cover works for us. Once the weather stopped dipping into the 50s at night the pool stayed in the 76+ temp, even hit 92.

Sound like you're getting a good deal! Since your thinking about a heater ditch the chlorinator, maybe they'll give you a credit. Not sure if you ever thought about salt? I know everyone here loves it, the jury is still debating for me and my wife is like "you wanted it, so I don't want to hear anything!" 😆 She didn't want it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.