Buying a new cartridge filter

LHK

Silver Supporter
Jun 11, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
We have a sand filter than needs to be replaced and I've decided to go with a cartridge filter for our next one. How do I choose which one and what size, or better yet what cartridge filter do you have and love? Should I buy it through a local pool company or try to get it myself through Amazon or similar? Is it easy enough to install ourselves (my partner has some plumbing experience and thinks he can do it, but I've seen his other projects not go as expected...) or should we hire someone more experienced to do it? TIA for your help and suggestions!

Reactions: CurtisAZ
LHK,

I have a large cartridge filter and love it...

That said, I live where we do not close our pools. You can't backwash a cartridge filter, which is not a problem for me as I never get algae. When you open your pool, if it is normally clear, then a cartridge filter will work for you. If you normally have to backwash a lot when opening your pool, you need to understand that to clean a cartridge filter you must open it, take the cartridges out, clean them, and then put everything back together. This takes me about an hour.

If you normally vacuum to waste a lot when opening, then make sure that you add a Jandy 3-way valve between your pump and your cartridge filter. This valve will allow you to send the water to waste, rather than through the filter. In fact, you should install a valve no matter what, as it will keep your filter from draining back into the pool when the pump lid is opened.

Our general rule is the bigger the filter the better. I have a Pentair CCP-520. The cartridges are about 7 or 8 years old and still working great, but I do use hairnets in my skimmers.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: LHK
I just swapped out a DE filter for an Aquastar cartridge filter. It’s around $850 shipped. Pool supply unlimited ships it and has it listed in their website. Pool HQ has it too. It’s one large cartridge made by Pleatco. I think $100 to replace. There are some videos about it on YouTube as well. Super easy to remove lid with a few turns and holding down 2 handles. Easy to plumb it in if you can cut and glue PVC which isn’t too difficult. I think it’s 275 sq feet but it turns over water faster then the Pentair 520 and filters close to DE micron level. Also looks pretty cool. Check it out.

Reactions: LHK
I also have Pentaire Clean and Clear Plus 320. It's 14 years old and working like a charm. We have many trees close to the pool, so it gets a pretty good workout with pollen and seeds and such. We've owned the house going on two years, and logs say I've cleaned it 7 times. Also replaced the filters once. The original filters may have been tired, as the new ones haven't shown a pressure increase at all through 5 months of use.

Getting the size right is about flow rate with your pump at the max speed. The filter must handle that rate as a minimum. But bigger is better. I've seen "buy the biggest you can afford" more than once in this forum.

An aside is that installing a flow meter recently as prep for VS pump has been quick, easy, and educational. You might consider it as a way to make sure the filter choice is right. You can try calculating it by estimating head and using the pump's flow vs head graph, but the meter is easier and potentially more accurate.

I also agree with the 3-way valve for vacuum to waste. My system never had one, so I mostly make do with the Polaris cleaner and a very fine net used as a scoop. Not ideal. Will try to add the 3-way while replacing the pump this summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: LHK and cowboycasey
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.