Buying a house with an old pool

Carpet

Oct 31, 2019
Northeast
I am in attorney review for a home with a pool. Love the home, but after prying for an inspection of the pool I was informed it was constructed in the 70s with wooden walls. This now seems like a bad investment. Should I be concerned about it? It has apparently had vinyl lining replaced in the last 5-8 years but I'm worried about the underlying structure as I'm not the most familiar with pool care. Any help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

I think you need to plan for a refurbishment of the pool at some time. Without an examination of the wood walls and the ground around the pool it is impossible to say when that can be. Just go into the house purchase with your eyes open.

@jimmythegreek thoughts?

Check in your area what permits are needed for filling in a pool. It may not be as simple as dumping some fill in the hole.

Some people here have found it cost less to fix their pool then to fill it in. Others bought a hosue with a filled in pool and removed the fill and rebuilt the pool.

If you do a search we have a few old threads about members dealing with wood wall pools. Here is one of them...

I’m sure the sellers would disclose any fortifications done with the last liner change to alleviate any fears for the buyer. Seeing how they didn’t........ it’s probably on its last legs. But hey, you never know. If you love the house you could always use the pool until it dies and then fill it in rather cheaply until you decided it was time for a new pool. If you specifically had to have a house with a turn key pool then you are probably best passing on this one.

Wooden pools are still around but they are a nightmare to work on. The fact ita still there is a good indication the property is high and dry and you have mo water issues below ground. There isn't a good way to save them unfortunately. If you have to have a pool longterm this is one to pass on. It will actually cost more to put a new pool in place of this than to dig a new pool from scratch.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.