busted sand filter and very green pool.

greg wilt

May 2, 2019
Newport News Virginia
Just got a home with an above ground pool which would be nice to use. Here is my problem (s)
  1. sand filter needs sand and laterals
  2. pool cover failed and is an algae nightmare
with those problems how do I attack? get the filter up and running 100% then deal with algae, or try to clean and vacuum and bypass the filter until the fine particles of algae are gone?

You need a filter to get that stuff out of your pool. I’d get that fixed up ASAP, and while you’re doing that you could always add some liquid chlorine with a submersible pump to help move things around. Also scoop up and junk from the bottom.

You need a filter to get that stuff out of your pool. I’d get that fixed up ASAP, and while you’re doing that you could always add some liquid chlorine with a submersible pump to help move things around. Also scoop up and junk from the bottom.
Should be up and running this weekend. Just a bit worried about running some if that stuff through the get the main filter back on line. I will add some liquid chlorine and user a small submersible in the meantime. Thanks

Should be up and running this weekend. Just a bit worried about running some if that stuff through the get the main filter back on line. I will add some liquid chlorine and user a small submersible in the meantime. Thanks
Almost have all the solids out
Good work! If you want to share pics or equipment details (if you need help sourcing parts) I know there are a few that can help!

If the plumbing is still connected and you have a recirculate setting on the multiport, you can get a jump start on the killing. If things are warming up, a whole lot of algae can grow in a few days. Just set it to recirculate and start brushing and bleaching. If it were me, I'd also raise the water level a few inches. Then once the filter is working, one vacuum to waste and commence the SLAM conventionally.

Reactions: splashpad
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.