Buried Pool renovation

Thanks.

Since we are mostly working off the assumption we will be able to fix it, we also started looking at equipment, etc.

We were planning to try to go with a Salt water pool. Are there any special considerations we need to make through this process for that? Plumbing, plaster, fittings, lights, etc? Does that matter for anything or does it all work the same regardless?

We do know that the Salt chlorinator is a bit more expensive up front, but we are fine with that for all the benefits it seems the salt water pool has.

With a SWG you would want to make sure your coping material is salt resistant. Soft stones like sandstone or limestone tend to erode with exposure to salt water. There are a lot of coping options that are salt resistant so you shouldn't have any trouble finding something you like.

Everything pool build wise is the same regardless of the water type. They are both chlorine pools. The salt one uses a generator (salt water chlorine generator) to produce chlorine gas. The ‘chlorine’ pool uses liquid bleach. The pool and equipment don’t care.

you can choose to spend XX a week on chlorine jugs, lug them and pour them in, Or spend upfront one shot and have several years with only occasionally topping off with liquid chlorine.

Yeah. That’s what we read. The upfront cost difference doesn’t matter, especially since long term we’ve heard it’s gonna be cheaper maintenance wise.

We’ve got a pool company coming take a look Thursday to see what they think also.

Ha. Yeah, I’m a long way from that. I just want to find somebody that’s at least willing to work with us for the plaster, etc.

I didn’t get too much further today, but I have some more pics I’ll put up a little bit later today

Reactions: kimkats
The main thing that would make the pool not salvageable is major cracks in the shell due to movement. But the reason for the pool being filled in seems to point away from that. Having the history on the pool is big plus. A big hole cut in the floor for drainage is not a big deal. If there wasn’t a hole in the floor, it would have filled up with water and been a swamp in your locale. So I highly suspect you will see a hole. You will also have the opportunity to add new benches or redo steps if interested, or even a sun shelf. Since the pool was functioning at the time of being filled in, you should be in good shape, relatively speaking.

You will want a real plaster job. Nothing else is suitable for a pool finish. And no pool finishes are DIY jobs. Plain plaster is the cheapest and in just fine. Doesn‘t last as long as say a pebble finish, but you can still get 10-15+ years out of plain plaster. Ours is 7 years old and looks and feels great. Pebble looks nicer to many people and lasts longer.

I look forward to watching your project!

Ok. Did a little bit more digging today....

This is still usable, right????
2-B35-C07-F-1-B0-C-4265-A745-20-F23-B010-CFB.jpg

more pool parts
21-E8-E905-E52-E-40-FC-81-D2-F7-BEAB2-CAC7-D.jpg

Uncovered some more of the wall where it was broken

375-F6-AFF-45-A5-48-F4-BA23-085-D52-EEFDAB.jpg

and a closer look
7268-E550-1-BFB-4-B0-D-9639-31-DD23-DC964-E.jpg

Uncovered the skimmer and the plumbing that goes to it. also another pipe on top which I assume goes to a jet on the far side. Will dig some more of that out tomorrow

02-A37175-B085-4-B94-B9-AD-08-F0024-ABC80.jpg

Found the bottom finally near the steps after I pulled all the junk out. 3 1/2 ft deep on the shallow side.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I will throw out an idea to see what everybody thinks. Since the coping is gone would it be far fetch to convert it to a vinyl liner and instal the rails. You would probably only need a small fixing of the surface to make it smooth. Wouldnt that be less expensive? Very impressed with the work and the surprises.

Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I will throw out an idea to see what everybody thinks. Since the coping is gone would it be far fetch to convert it to a vinyl liner and instal the rails. You would probably only need a small fixing of the surface to make it smooth. Wouldnt that be less expensive? Very impressed with the work and the surprises.

Ha....it’s not gone.....it’s in the pool with the rest of the junk :)

I’m not sure that we’d be interested in a liner unless it was the only possible option

• Haha
Reactions: Flying Tivo
I know in Houston when they refinish pools once emptied they punch 1-2 holes in the bottom to keep the shell from popping up due to the water table and heavy rains and poor draining soil. I’d assume they did the same as mentioned above for drainage. Also agree depending on what you want you can upgrade the pool to included some benches, water features and a sun shelf if you wanted too. Depending on budget and how much of the pool you want to keep you could even add an attached hot tub since the plumbing needs to be redone.

We refinished a pool in our last house and I was surprised the cost difference isn’t as much as I thought it would be between a new pool. Now if you diy the plumbing and electrical and subcontract the plaster and tile work your self you’ll probably save a lot.

Yep. Will likely do all the plumbing, electrical, tile, concrete patching etc ourself. The plaster work and cost for that is our biggest unknown right now outside of what’s actually under all of the dirt.

Note to anyone who comes across this thread, never backfill your pool by placing a bunch of junk in it first.

Might not be quite as much dirt to pull out as we thought...

C587147-E-CD2-B-4878-A7-F2-EF19-B2-D31349.jpg

Now I think we are committed to digging it out no matter what. Just not safe

If there was gravel placed below the shell when built, as water percolated through the dirt-filled shell and out through the drainage holes, it would take soil with it leaving voids. And the soil wouldn’t have been compacted around all of the junk buried. So the voids definitely make sense.

I think you’ve also informally pledged to us that we get to see a full dig out and renovation!

Got a bit done this morning.

Found this...looks different than the jet on the other side.

975472-CB-4-B96-4-E82-A404-2-AB3-C83-C39-A1.jpg

This is from the pipe that was near the skimmer.
D45-EF7-E2-B4-DF-4966-8-A57-326458442677.jpg

1-D685-E02-240-D-44-E3-AB1-F-9-B2-D97-E9-DEEE.jpg

Also found the other side of the electrical line in the deep end
1341-EABC-F0-C8-458-A-8-A78-C1187-F496-C53.jpg

Got the whole wall uncovered so we know the exact layout now.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.