Bungee Plug

dschribs

Mar 14, 2013
CT
Has anyone used one of these for closing their pool?

Seems like a novel approach but being that I'm in CT and my water gets so sold in the Winter I'm a bit worried the rubber plug may shrink and let water back into the plumbing.

I use regular plugs and will not comment on others. The regular winter plugs work great and are inexpensive enough to discard every 2-3 years when they start leaking. Use of goggles is recommended as you can actually see the plug installed flush with the housing. They even sell extended plugs (more expensive) that will sit flush in the returns and not have to grab the threads.

Curious if you went with the bungee plugs? I've used them for 3 seasons now with no issues. I put a little lube on the o-rings and the inside of the rubber cone, and screw them in. As far as the rubber shrinking, because of the cone shape the weight of the water will push it against the seat regardless, so no worries there. It's basically just a check valve.

This is the first time i have seen those. I would guess that you will need someone or someones to hold the upstream ones closed after they start to blow air for a bit in order to force the air farther down line till you get to the last return. IF they hold tight and don't leak it should be an easy water blow out job.

I believe the bungee plugs open up slightly and it will take longer for the water to escape, etc. Or they are installed after each line is cleared, not sure on the instructions and they seal pretty well (from what I can gather). They seem like nice plugs.

I know that my winter plugs are about $1.50 per plug with free shipping over $50. Considering I stock up, the cost is about $11.99 on E-Bay, or 8X the amount. They are also for 1.5" fittings, while my steps take # 11 plugs, which are lager. If these plugs were to last over 10 years, then maybe not a bad idea.

However, these are probably very convenient for someone working by themselves in closing the pool, and from member experience a great plug.

Last edited:
They work as advertised! How can you comment on a product or products when you’ve not even tried them? They are to be used when people are not removing any water. They have enough back pressure for patient people to blow all other returns free of water similar to Anderson duck plugs. Anderson duck plugs or these plugs are now the standard for most companies that close pools. Quick and efficient with zero worries of any freezing issues.

The duck plugs i have laid hands on and i have to say i would not use them to keep water out of a football i was throwing out, lol.. I mentioned my thoughts out-loud to the clerk and he commented that there guys will not use them neither but had them for sale by request. These bungee ones i am Very interested in. How long have they been around guys ?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The duck plugs i have laid hands on and i have to say i would not use them to keep water out of a football i was throwing out, lol.. I mentioned my thoughts out-loud to the clerk and he commented that there guys will not use them neither but had them for sale by request. These bungee ones i am Very interested in. How long have they been around guys ?

Are you stating that the person who works at the pool store does not recommend the duck plugs? Thanks!

These bungee ones i am Very interested in. How long have they been around guys ?

Looks like they were first mentioned here in 2017.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.