Bulge on Floor of Vinyl Liner - What To Do?

Zwrickers

Jun 21, 2019
Louisville KY
Hi,
Our pool hasn't had much use at all this year :( but I've maintained it. I am vacuuming my pool to close. I discovered a 4 inch round-shaped bulge on the pool bottom, about 2 feet away from the walls. We had our liner replaced last year so it's only 1 year old with hardly any use. The ground has settled (sand underneath) and there are more floor wrinkles than there were after installation last year. There are no trees around. Could a mole/volve cause that?

Regardless, the water is now 48 F and air temps are finally at freezing last night/tonight. (Yes I had pump running the whole time). I was going to suck it up and go in to try to flatten this bulge before closing. Would gently pushing the bulge down with my foot be good, or bad? Could it stress/damage the liner? Or should I just leave it? I don't want it to get even bigger, and have it burst the liner over the winter.

Advice appreciated - thanks in advance.

Kristin

Hi,
Our pool hasn't had much use at all this year :( but I've maintained it pretty well. Two weeks ago, I discovered a 4 inch round-shaped bulge on the pool bottom, about 2 feet away from the walls. We had our liner replaced last year so it's only 1 year old with hardly any use. The ground has settled (sand underneath) and there are more floor wrinkles than there were after installation last year which I am not stressing about. Nothing unusual with the water table. There are no trees around. Could a mole/volve cause that?

Regardless, the water is now 45 F and air temps are finally at 28 F the past 2 nights. (I had the pump equipment covered with a tarp and running overnight both nights to prevent freezing). I was going to suck it up and go in the pool to try to flatten this bulge before closing. Would gently pushing the bulge down with my foot be good, or bad? Could it stress/damage the cold liner? Or should I just leave it? I don't want it to get even bigger, and have it burst the liner over the winter.

Advice appreciated - thanks in advance.

Kristin

Is it soft? Like air under it? Sounds like a air bubble that worked it's way like trapped air. Following, I'm suspect of critter's may have found their way under my liner. Small indent that follows along the inside the walls. Anyone ever have this happen? I'm replacing the liner next year so I'm not overly concerned at this point.

Last edited:
Is it soft? Like air under it? Sounds like a air bubble that worked it's way to the middle like trapped air.
HI - I braved the cold. No, it was not soft, it was hard like compacted sand. I pressed it down just a little. It is still a raised bump up about 1" high and 3 inches across. There were a few other smaller ones in the pool too as I checked and walked around. Honestly wondering if they could be rocks, though, when they replaced the liner there were no rocks at all.

Anyway, I'm really bummed out. I doubt there is a warranty on sand settling/pool bottom one year after installing, right?

HI - I braved the cold. No, it was not soft, it was hard like compacted sand. I pressed it down just a little. It is still a raised bump up about 1" high and 3 inches across. There were a few other smaller ones in the pool too as I checked and walked around. Honestly wondering if they could be rocks, though, when they replaced the liner there were no rocks at all.

Anyway, I'm really bummed out. I doubt there is a warranty on sand settling/pool bottom one year after installing, right?
I'll wait to see what others come up with. Sounds like the sand settled. Is your ground frozen yet? Edit...didn't see your down south, not frozen...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.