Building new pool in Houston,TX

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Don't let them push you to add UV or ozone ... get a SWG is you can.
Get a robot for cleaning.

Your post is pretty open-ended ... if you have questions, try to be specific and we can offer advice.

We don’t have any experience and not sure what to look for or watch out to make sure they are doing the right thing.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that we are getting the Polaris 280. Is that not good? Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

What is the usual depth of the first step? Our sun deck and the step are next to each other and will be same water level. I’m thinking of either 6 or 9” of water. That will make the first step to be 10 or 13”. Is it too steep for the first step to be 13”. We also have the sitting bench on the other side. What is the normal water depth for the sitting bench. That side is 7ft deep. Thanks.

Lose the Polaris... get a robot. The old fashioned Polaris requires a separate pump for operation whereas a more up to date robot only requires an outlet near the pool. Saves money upfront on the pump/pipes and robots use far less energy to work.
And robots clean far better.

I like that you are having a large open pool and that your tanning ledge and spa don't eat into the pool space. Smart!

Maddie :flower:

Do you have more detailed information such as how many returns, skimmers, main drains, equipment list, etc? I recently finished building mine, and caught quite many problems and dealt with many mistakes made by PB. I documented everything in my build thread (link in my sig). It was my first time building a pool as well, so I learned a lot from TFP. To be honest, reading good build threads is the best way to learn what to watch out for...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Steps-you can have a small step put in the corner of the shelf to help with in and out. Those bench like steps could be turned in to "real" steps that hugs the wall so they are more like natural steps. Home steps are not to exceed 7.5" rise.

2x2 tile is very pretty! So long as the tile is well placed then it is all good. What tile have you picked out. Have you thought about the color of the grout yet? Show us what you have picked out and we can help with the design!

Kim:kim:

174B760D-48A8-4564-9BC6-CC41F5E6CBCC.jpg
My water feature will look like this which match the coping and decking. I have steel glass blue tiles for the spa and waterline. I think the fountain is blending too much. I was thinking about glass tile or dark gray split face but coping still same ivory color. I don’t know if that will look good. I have not pick out anything but the glass tile. Thanks.

SWEET! Quick, run out there with your plans and a tape measure. Add about 8" for steel, guinite, and plaster. Is it long, wide, deep enough? I am really looking at the shelves but you need to double check all of it.

SWEET! Glad to hear. We had one build where they put the shallow end on the wrong end :shock: and it was not caught until the shell was poured :( That is when they found TFP. I am not sure how they ended up fixing it or if they did. That is why I love when someone builds the pool from the very beginning here. I can give them "jobs" to do to make sure things are like they should be at each step.

So here is your next "job"-do your best to be there when then shoot the gunite. A lot of times the crew will have ideas or concerns so it is best you are there to be the one to address them.

Definitely be there on Gunite day. There were quite a few questions I had to answer throughout the day that my superintendent would not have been able to make the call on - especially when it came to the hot tub area (seat style, step heights, etc). The hours you set aside for availability on gunite day can save you days and $$ of rework.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.