Builder says pool depth cant be 3' 6" from waterline

Hi there I asked my pool builder when we did an initial walkaround of the yard for a 3' 6" shallow end minimum and 6' deep minimum from waterline, and there were no issues. Now he sent drawing for approval and is telling me they can't make the shallow end deeper thanks 3' 6" from decking , making waterline 3 feet, his drawing actually shows it at 2' 10". Even the deep end is showing 5' 6 from waterline? . I will paste his comments below:

"The wall heights are standard in the shallow end, 3'6" pool depth (from decking down to floor), will give you about 3' of water depth.
We can't go any deeper in the shallow end without creating side slopes."

Can he not use a bigger pool panel to get deeper in shallow end ? Extremely disappointed in this since they are telling me this after receiving a large deposit. Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like your builder doesn't want to modify his standard plans to accommodate your wants. That part about having to create side slopes is a ward off tactic, it's hogwash. Even if you had sandy soil they can make the walls vertical all the way to the bottom. Besides another 6" to 8" isn't enough to be concerned about for them. They just don't want to go to the trouble to build it like you want it. I'd insist in what you want and not back off.

Did you sign and give a deposit? If not don't respond (they like to not respond to customers so turn about is fair play) and find someone else. If so state he originally had no problem with 3'6" why is it now suddenly a problem.

Reactions: borjis
What type of pool is being constructed?

You have a signed contract with specifications?

Just a guess here....I'm no builder, but if this is a liner pool, it sounds to me that the builder may have mistakenly quoted you 42" wall panels instead of 48". Now he doesnt want to eat the difference for his mistake.

I personally have never seen side slopes in the shallow area of a pool.

Yes it is a vinyl pool , he has not responded to this morning's emails asking for reasons why it's an issue as well as about using 48" panels . Would like deposit back tell you the truth depending on his answer it seems like a ploy to try and hit me up for more money. Went with them because they have 35 years in the business, now have doubts. Thanks everyone.

Designing Your Pool Bottom: Shapes and Terms

The diagram at the bottom of the above link discusses how you make various pool depths in shallow end of vinyl pools. I've certainly seen pools with coves (angled sections) in the shallow end to get more depth than the walls used would allow by themselves. And certainly again, PB's get set in their ways and may not be interested in building the pool you want. We see that all the time too. Often times that gets flushed out in the selection process but also does show up once under contract. You probably don't need to educate him in how to build the pool you want so much as determine if he wants to or is willing to do it.

Reactions: tomas21
Thanks for the links . His reply is below, don't think he is out to take advantage he could have included this in contract and I would have gone with it. I am going to go for the 48 inch panels for the extra charge and go deeper in shallow end, will help lessen slope to deep end too which I like, just need to decide on vinyl lined steps , worry about German Sheppard possibly getting on them and losing pool space with them, but they look great and dont really want a ridge on the plastic walkin steps like he says. Anyway thanks for all info I'm sure I will be back asking more questions soon.

Hi John,

Thanks for the communication on this. Here are some notes / comments / questions for you:

- We can adjust the deep end to whichever depth best suits your needs, this is okay, no charges.
- Doing a side slope would be awkward going up and down the Walk In Steps, the last tread and stepping in front of it. It would be different if the step could go on the end of the pool, as then we could start sloping almost immediately after the entry. From builder:

- The 48' deep Pool Walls / kit would cost more if you'd like to upgrade? It's $1,400 more.
The 48" wall height also only has 3 types of Walk In Step: 6' Straight, 6' Curved Radius, and 8' Straight. The steps however are not available in a Cantilever Finish, so we cannot install Stone coping over top of this type of design.
The stone coping would have to stop on each side of the step, and the interlock finished up to the step / and leave the exposed top lip of the step, like you would see on a typical concrete pour around pool steps.
Another option could be to create Vinyl Over Steps inside the pool with the 48" Wall. There is an additional charge for these types of steps, depending on the size and design. And, they take up some space inside your shallow end of the pool.

Thought I'd give you all the info I can think of regarding your request, so we can get things done as best as possible for you.

Please let me know your thoughts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Took a little back and forth, but you now seem to have the full set of available options that you can choose from.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.