Builder says pool depth cant be 3' 6" from waterline

Bama Rambler

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2009
SouthWest Alabama
I think you'll be fine. You can always run the water level near the top of the skimmer and it'll be fine.

I actually like that the builder calls out the actual depth instead of panel height. That tells me that they're not trying to fool you.

jimmythegreek

TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
In The Industry
Aug 10, 2017
Morris Cnty NJ
You need 2 more returns. 1 in the panel to the right of the return panel in deep end amd one in lower right where stair panel is on side with skimmer. Also I see a single skimmer. I'm not a fan of a single suction point. Either low wall dual drains or another skimmer is what I would do. If a pool noodle, toy, debris got into skimmer you could run pump dry easily especially if your not home or away

jeflogan

Gold Supporter
May 23, 2012
Urbandale/IA
That's too bad. I had the same thought and in one side of my sports pool I had it dug to 4.4' so the water would not be at waist level. The side slopes were easy to do, but there was a slight slope on the back that the pool crete guys had a hard time doing. It got done though. I enjoy the extra depth being 5'11" and hang out on that side if I am not floating.

Pool depth.PNG

Thanks everyone I will mention all this to builder and most likely approve drawing once he clarifies some of your points about returns , skimmers ect, just glad I got the depths I was looking for and a slope that's at roughly 19 degrees is nice instead of a sharp drop. Mid September dig.