Builder Installed Wrong Finish Travertine - Demand Replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2) Flaming - contractor will heat surface with a torch and then spray water on the hot stone causing some areas to flake off. This provides a very elegant appearance which is very smooth to the touch but has a lot of texture for grip. This will likely be the most expensive solution.

For what it's worth, we just redid our pool deck with granite pavers with a thermal surface finish, and I would highly recommend it. It is very much non-skid - seems like almost the perfect kind of surface for a pool deck. I have no idea how well it works with travertine as opposed to granite, but if the "replace" option doesn't work out, this might be a reasonable Plan B for you to consider....

It is important for you to communicate and work with the builder on this issue. You have to let him know clearly that it is not about the 8k, but about the safety of you and your family.

Also, I would not try any of the treatments from third parties without the builder officially waiving the 8k in writing. The builder can come back after 6 months and sue you for the money. Zero response by the builder does not mean you can proceed with corrective measures using the 8k unclaimed by builder. As someone else mentioned, start documenting all communications and preferably keep it to email and use professional language. ( If it ever gets to court, you want the judge to see the emails written by you being professional and reasonable).

In order to get the builders attention, it may be required to send a legal letter stating the issue and also threatening to sue not just for loss of use but also for slips and falls occurring due to faulty material - which theoretically the builder can be held responsible for.

Apart from filling and honing, is it possible that they also used some type of sealer which is making it even more slippery?

Sealer is temporary - we sealed stained concrete with Shark Grip added and noticed little difference. Your contract didn't specify the finish of travertine and he did provide travertine. From an objective standpoint, I'm not sure I see how that constitutes the wrong product being installed. A poor choice, yes, but can it be considered wrong if travertine was installed? Wouldn't change how I'd argue it if I were you but just my take. Probably a lesson for others to be more specific regarding contract wording but not a jab at you because it happens all the time and is easy to miss.

Fair point about the durability of the travertine tile and the methods suggested by vermaraj. Great details/info. Though my gut tells me that if the base is solid, the process may not be harmful. Just a few of my thoughts from outside of the fire.

Very sorry you are having to deal with this issue.

Thanks for the Info Phil - depending on their response I'll have them acknowledge the error and omit remaining payment as a settlement.

I may have to go down that road - it seems like a liability for them.

It is important for you to communicate and work with the builder on this issue. You have to let him know clearly that it is not about the 8k, but about the safety of you and your family.

Also, I would not try any of the treatments from third parties without the builder officially waiving the 8k in writing. The builder can come back after 6 months and sue you for the money. Zero response by the builder does not mean you can proceed with corrective measures using the 8k unclaimed by builder. As someone else mentioned, start documenting all communications and preferably keep it to email and use professional language. ( If it ever gets to court, you want the judge to see the emails written by you being professional and reasonable).

In order to get the builders attention, it may be required to send a legal letter stating the issue and also threatening to sue not just for loss of use but also for slips and falls occurring due to faulty material - which theoretically the builder can be held responsible for.

Apart from filling and honing, is it possible that they also used some type of sealer which is making it even more slippery?

- - - Updated - - -

That has crossed my mind - but being hired as a builder you would be expected to use materials safe for the application. I cant see a judge agreeing with the builder when people and children are falling down. If it wasnt around a pool sure, but they built the pool and installed the decking (not to mention used tumbled travertine on the coping then switched to filled & honed on the decking).

I still have the sample pieces the builder gave me/I picked out - the piece I have is tumbled. The pieces installed are honed & filled.

we will see how it goes. Thanks for the input :)

Sealer is temporary - we sealed stained concrete with Shark Grip added and noticed little difference. Your contract didn't specify the finish of travertine and he did provide travertine. From an objective standpoint, I'm not sure I see how that constitutes the wrong product being installed. A poor choice, yes, but can it be considered wrong if travertine was installed? Wouldn't change how I'd argue it if I were you but just my take. Probably a lesson for others to be more specific regarding contract wording but not a jab at you because it happens all the time and is easy to miss.

Fair point about the durability of the travertine tile and the methods suggested by vermaraj. Great details/info. Though my gut tells me that if the base is solid, the process may not be harmful. Just a few of my thoughts from outside of the fire.

Very sorry you are having to deal with this issue.

- - - Updated - - -

I have a couple pieces left over - i'll check and see what the other side looks like.

The builder is going to try another etching product Friday.

Unfortunately I have cracking in the decking where the existing patio meets the new patio. Both sides.

This is certainly from the concrete sections underneath moving separately from one another. I'll be sure to show them Friday.

I'm not sure if they connected them with rebar correctly or not - it is only where the old patio meets the new patio. no cracking at any other expansion joints on the new patio.

the fun never ends :(

I don't get it installing a travertine deck is a multiple day job. Didn't you notice as it was happening. You didn't have anything in writing with the the selection choice that doesn't seem normal.

With what kim said you can tell though in PM. Im asking you in PM who the builder is.

Multiple day install for sure - we walked on it and it seemed textured but after it was cleaned/grouted the mortar/grout residue was gone and it was completely smooth.

I would certainly catch it now - but being my first pool and not educated in the different finishes of travertine I did not.

We picked tumbled - and tumbled was installed for the coping first. Then they installed filled and honed after - no reason why.

I'll keep yall posted!

Having the exact same issue here with my build that was just recently completed. Sent an e-mail to the PB, Not a peep back yet. The contract states "travertine" but he told us he would be installing tumbled travertine. Honed and filled is what we got. I've been out of work for one month with my knee injury. We're scared to death the kids are going to crack their skulls open on this stuff. Watching this thread intently.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My tumbled travertine can get a bit slippery when it is wet. I can only imagine what it's to have a filled and honed paver. I definitely suggest using appropriate water shoes or trying something similar that might get a better grip for the feet - as inconvenient as it may be, I'll take safety over inconvenience.

No slips or falls as yet on my pavers, but I am constantly having to tell visiting kids not to run.

My daughter slipped and fell again on Saturday. Last night, her foot slid about 4" as she was walking to the patio. I was sitting right there and watched it happen, again. I guess I'm going to have to start taking a log of everytime someone slips and every time someone falls. It is far too frequent. We had one of our family members slip and fall WITH pool shoes on. Our confidence on this surface is ZERO.

Blasting with shot/sand is probably the best solution and likely the cheapest as well. In addition, the finish will more closely resemble the tumbled material you thought was going to be installed and the fix will be permenant. Everything else (other than complete replacement) is a low cost band-aid which will result in substantially increased maintenance in the future. I'd be amazed if the pool builder wouldn't prefer this over replacement.

I had a similar situation to yours when building our home.

We have a lot of Natural Stone on our home and I mean a lot. We chose a certain stone and when they dropped it on our lot during construction my wife says to me; "that's the wrong stone". So I called the builder, they said it's right. I had them confirm, they said again it's right. In a nutshell, we go out of town, come back swing by home build and guess what? Wrong stone; to the tune of close to 27k in stone that was wrong. So, they had a few options and all were within my choice and they would have to comply. Tear it down and start over, which obviously is excessively expensive for them. Or, give me a budget I can use to choose "free" things as compensation that saves us both money.

In the end, we got a lot of things into our home, such as latex paint throughout, Wolf appliances, etc. In truth we liked the mistake stone better, LOL.

Now in your case, if you specifically listed or chose the tumbled then you have an argument, they screwed up. And they contractually have to put on what you contracted or you come to a mutual understanding of a solution.

But if you only had "travertine" then they could wiggle out of it as they gave you "travertine".

Personal note on Shark Grip. I added it to a sealant I applied onto essentially stamped concrete, and was very underwhelmed with the change. Was hoping for more. Others seem to get some benefit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.