Build thread: 21x41 with deep end

nobueno

Silver Supporter
Sep 25, 2019
76
Erie, CO
Posted this in under construction but thought I'd cross post here for those that don't frequent it.

Pool prices in our area are unreal (starting at 100k for in ground) so we decided on an above ground. The only above ground installer in our area wanted $28k to install a 21x41 Doughboy, so here we are, doing it ourselves.

Pool kit with expandable liner - $5,428
Pentair Clean & Clear 150SF Filter with 2 hp 2 speed Optiflo Pump - $562
Circupool RJ-45 - $994
Leveling and excavation - $900
Cinder blocks, pavers, concrete and misc - $196
Total = $8,080. Savings of $20k or almost 70%

The leveling begins:



Deep end excavation. We could've gone down to 7' but I didn't want to push it too close. Came out to about 6'6". The tractor left a rut on the outer perimeter where the wall was going to sit so we ended up having to dig the whole thing down 2" to match that spot. Not fun.



Getting the sidewall supports leveled and set.




Adding the pressure pads with a little help.



Sand base, starting to lay out the wall track.




Finished the wall, cove and top rails in a day and started stretching the liner.



Bonding the frame



Liner stretching.


The liner was by far and away the toughest part. Our center line was off by about 2" but we were unable to move it any further because it wanted to move the end walls when we moved it. It's a 30GA overlap expandable so it was heavy as ****, stiff and hard to manipulate. We actually had to put a ratchet strap one of the end wall sections to stop the liner from pulling it in as the water stretched it. Thankfully a tree was near so I could wrap it around it.



We had to do a partial drain and refill because there wasn't enough liner to stretch on one section. This spot doesn't get more than an hour of direct sunlight. It was in the mid 80s and low 90s but without the sunlight it couldn't get enough stretch. So close. It eventually got sucked in on our third try but I was able to stretch it back out enough one afternoon and gorilla tape it in place so that it held.



Finally have it this time.



Got the salt put in, pump and filter are up and running last night and the steps are in. Turning on the SWG today then testing and adding the CYA and baking soda.




Planning on adding a ~16'x24' deck on this side of the pool as well. That's for another day :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: sammckin