Buffalo, NY - Gunite Saltwater Pool Build

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.

Plaster links:
Ten Guidelines for Quality Pool Plaster Best one of all
All Plaster Finishes Should Last 20 Years
Not All Color Pigments are Good for Pools How to pick a good color for plaster.
A Plastering 'Watch List' | Professional Watershaping | Watershapes
Trouble Free Pool
Trouble Free Pool

Pool care links:
Print these out:
Pool School - Basic Pool Care Schedule
Pool School - Recommended Levels

Bookmark these:
Pool School - Recommended Pool Chemicals
Trouble Free Pool
Pool School - ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Now is also a good time to ask what test kit your PB will be providing so we can fill in any holes.

Kim:kim:

SWEET!!! That looks great! Have you started bonding with it yet? aka watering it to help slow down the curing.

It is time for your set of links! The first set is all about what to do and ask about to get a great plaster job. The second set is all about how to care for your pool after you get the plaster.
Thank you so much, @kimkats . PB didn't mention watering anything so I haven't. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow so won't be able to either. Seems this is pretty common from a quick google. Maybe there's a reason they didn't suggest it? Maybe because temps are cooler up here?

+1. When my insurance agent was telling me $284 (?) I was expecting per month but it was per year.

Great looking build. I also live in Buffalo and have a HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ125. The reason I got a heat pump was because I have solar panels on the house. Being 100% honest I prefer the natural gas heater. It is much faster and much hotter. I really only run the heater in mid May and late Sept when the water gets a little cold. I find most of the summer my water ranges from 78 to 82. During heat waves it was gotten up to 90 once or twice. My pool gets full sun all day and the concretes helps keep it warm. The heat pump is slow, water coming out of the pump is only 3 or 4 degrees warmer than what goes in. Also, I hate solar covers so I don't use one instead I use something called liquid cover which claims to keep the pool water from evaporating which is a major cause of heat loss. Some say it works while others are not impressed. Something too expensive for me would be a built in cover that rolls up under the concrete. Seem them and they are nice but no way could/would I spend the money on them.

Can't seem to find your post, but I thought somewhere you asked about stamped color concrete. My patio below the pool is that and I no longer coat it. It gets way too slick, especially with kids playing. The concrete by my pool is colored with the border stained also it is swirled, I think it looks great and it is not at all slipperly.

Oh btw who is your PB?

Daren

Don't get a diving board or slide - the chance of injury and liability is not worth it. Consider a low diving stone.
This ship sailed a long time ago, we went with both. We have umbrella insurance and a good insurance policy. Pool is also video monitored (of course we're also out there too).
Great looking build. I also live in Buffalo and have a HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ125. The reason I got a heat pump was because I have solar panels on the house. Being 100% honest I prefer the natural gas heater. It is much faster and much hotter. I really only run the heater in mid May and late Sept when the water gets a little cold. I find most of the summer my water ranges from 78 to 82. During heat waves it was gotten up to 90 once or twice. My pool gets full sun all day and the concretes helps keep it warm. The heat pump is slow, water coming out of the pump is only 3 or 4 degrees warmer than what goes in. Also, I hate solar covers so I don't use one instead I use something called liquid cover which claims to keep the pool water from evaporating which is a major cause of heat loss. Some say it works while others are not impressed. Something too expensive for me would be a built in cover that rolls up under the concrete. Seem them and they are nice but no way could/would I spend the money on them.
We did ultimately stick with the natural gas heater. I am more worried about my wife and kids. I swim in low 70's without issue on the regular :). I appreciate you sharing your experience, @Drb1 !
Can't seem to find your post, but I thought somewhere you asked about stamped color concrete. My patio below the pool is that and I no longer coat it. It gets way too slick, especially with kids playing. The concrete by my pool is colored with the border stained also it is swirled, I think it looks great and it is not at all slipperly.

Oh btw who is your PB?

Daren
We went without color ... I ran out of money :). I'll PM you the builder.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Was on vacation and now I’m back. Neighbor called the town on a few items and got into it with our builder. Long story short, we made one small accommodation that saved me $1k so no harm no foul. One bridge burner though!

While we were gone they finished the tile, equipment, gas line, and deck forms. Pouring the decks today. Here are some photos!

6.jpg5.jpg4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpg

Long story short, we made one small accommodation that saved me $1k so no harm no foul. One bridge burner though!
I mean, it is your build thread, no need to make the story short. And no reason to just leave us al hanging!

Exciting progress!

I mean, it is your build thread, no need to make the story short. And no reason to just leave us al hanging!

Exciting progress!
There's a code (or something) about being back to virgin grade when any slope gets back to the property line. We are within code, but inspector (really neighbor) was concerned about drainage issues so inspector identified a 5' minimum setback for 'Accessory Structures' and asked us to accommodate. We did. Neighbor is reading the code and thinks the pool/patio is a 'structure' and should abide by 10' setback ... neighbor started to say 'sue' and so I walked away. I don't think anything comes of it personally. Just a bridge burned. The difference between 5' and 10' is hardly worth the fuss personally. I did speak to the building inspector and got his approval on our plans because obviously I want everything complaint with code. Think this is more about our pool placement than anything else. It's also an eyesore for them, which I understand. However, if they had approached me about their concerns they would learn I'm dropping $20k on a vinyl fence as a courtesy to them so they don't have to look at our equipment, pool, etc. We didn't build our pool with malice, ya know?

Reactions: kimkats
Thanks for the story, interesting to read the difference that come up with pool builds. Unfortunate, but reality, and helpful when following along. Great to hear the resolution was ok with you, and a burned bridge? You don't need to ride on that bridge, as you pointed out, could have avoided it if they approached it a little different.

It's also an eyesore for them
That pool you are building sure doesn't look like an eye sore to me. Maybe more something else to them, not sure what is going on with them, so I'll just say, not an eye sore.

We didn't build our pool with malice, ya know?
Excellent point! And an excellent way to approach a pool build with a very big picture in mind.

Keep looking forward to updates.

Plaster in process. Pool will start being filled today. Electric is getting done tomorrow and pool will still be filling. They cut it close but good news. Now I’m trying to make sure cleanup, chemicals, fencing, etc is done timely so maybe we can start swimming next weekend!

Attachments

• 48F87D37-801C-4548-8BF6-757F0B61084A.jpeg
    48F87D37-801C-4548-8BF6-757F0B61084A.jpeg
    589 KB · Views: 29
Some dark spots in the plaster. Not sure if it’s just still drying or put on too thin? Seems a little sloppy around some of the returns / lights, but maybe normal?

FC94331B-04FA-4DFA-9E56-6029C70069B3.jpeg4C68157E-0743-4817-9DA4-32BC249BA507.jpegE69C78C6-0D86-410E-87FD-3A00EA2E6C52.jpegB1B81B06-494C-4585-872B-DAB8F320223C.jpeg522E60E7-13A4-4DC6-92DF-6C2D41DFEA18.jpeg

Reactions: jasonegreen1978

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.