Buffalo, NY - Gunite Saltwater Pool Build

The builder shared the same concern as @AQUA~HOLICS , where he didn't want plumbing runs 100'+. So we'll do longer electric / gas runs in favor of shorter plumbing runs. Curious what it will run me, $ wise.

Here's the final layout (landscape still a work in progress). Just realized I never shared it. We're thinking of having the equipment pad somewhere in the corner where the vinyl and black fence meet.

Pool.jpg

Layout is done! Only issue so far is the Pentair IC60 is on backorder and has been for a while so builder said we'll need to go with IC40. Not sure how big of a problem this is and what, if anything, I can do about it haha.

Pool Layout.jpg

Pool Layout 2 (2).jpg

You really do need the IC60...I estimate your pool to be near 27,000 gallons. So double that and you get 54,000 gallons = IC60.

The smaller cell may not give you all the chlorine you want and require you to augment it with liquid chlorine on occasion.

Maddie :flower:

In Buffalo NY an IC40 will do fine in a 30K pool. In Phoenix AZ it would be a different answer.

Reactions: Newdude
asdfsadf.jpg
Can see Skimmer #1 at the top end of the pool, which is the shallow end. Cutout for Skimmer #2 is on the bottom-right near the cutout to get out of the deepend.
adf.jpg

Reactions: Blancmik
Could use a little help from the community. I have four (4) Pentair's Microbrites I can install. Here is a snapshot of the final build, with red marks where they're proposing the lights be installed. Thoughts?

Pool Lights - Layout.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Another question ... we have a carve out to get out of the deep end. It's 5' wide and 2' deep. Builder suggested adding a small step so kids aren't having to bring their foot up 2' onto the pool deck to get out. Thoughts?

Builder is asking me if I want to consider a Heat Pump (HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ125) over a Natural Gas Heater. We don't have a spa so it's tempting. Even thought the Heat Pump is more expensive, it's still a net savings as we won't need to run the 175' gas line ($$$). Seems posters are split on this decision in other threads. We will probably keep the pool at 86 or so.

Builder is asking me if I want to consider a Heat Pump (HeatWave SuperQuiet SQ125) over a Natural Gas Heater. We don't have a spa so it's tempting. Even thought the Heat Pump is more expensive, it's still a net savings as we won't need to run the 175' gas line ($$$). Seems posters are split on this decision in other threads. We will probably keep the pool at 86 or so.

Will you have a pool cover?

Without a pool cover the HP will not be able to heat the pool in conditions a gas heater will be able to.

Will you have a pool cover?

Without a pool cover the HP will not be able to heat the pool in conditions a gas heater will be able to.
Thanks for the comment. Most likely won't have a pool cover. We will probably set the temp and then leave it alone. Can you expand on what conditions it won't be able to heat in? If HP is set to maintain 85F and there's a week of temps in the mid-70s, will it be able to keep the 85F set point?

If HP is set to maintain 85F and there's a week of temps in the mid-70s, will it be able to keep the 85F set point?

I doubt it without a pool cover.

Depends what temperatures dip down to at night.

The HP should work fine from mid-June through mid-September. It is in the shoulder months that it may struggle.

Pentair has a Heat Pump Calculator to determine the appropriate size Heat Pump for your location. Pentair seems to do honest calculations based on the physics and efficiencies of each type of pump and energy source.

Raypak also has a Heat Pump Heater Sizing App.

To get the most accurate cost comparison you should change the default electric kwh, natural gas price, and propane price to actual prices in your area.

Thanks. Looks like electric is cheaper, but the sizing app basically says it can't meet my 86F temp requirement. Then again, not sure where it's getting air temp of 71F in July in Buffalo, NY haha.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.