Brownish green dust at bottom of pool

Aug 16, 2016
johnstown/PA
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
I have the dust at the bottom of pool. If I vacuum it returns. It is super fine and puffs up in clouds when approached by broom or vacuum.I have this problem every single year at this time. I can't believe it would be algae? My water is balanced and my FC has never dropped below 4. My oclt is always 1 or less. I do not have any CC. My chlorine choice is cal hypo(please no negativity for that LOL. Pictures and readings attached. I live in western pa, so not sure if it would be pollen, but it occurs every year now through September, but never in June?
Any help/insight would be appreciated. Should I try a filter sock?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220724-135211.png
    Screenshot_20220724-135211.png
    298.4 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG_20220724_134953505.jpg
    IMG_20220724_134953505.jpg
    439.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20220724_134944072.jpg
    IMG_20220724_134944072.jpg
    387.5 KB · Views: 70
Somewhere, somehow, the water was below minimum FC for the CYA. Had to be to get algae.

Follow the SLAM Process
Thanks for response..do the pictures look like algae for sure? I'm not doubting it, but I religiously check the chlorine levels using the Taylor fasdpd. The water is crystal clear and there is no dust anywhere else but the bottom..Every year I slam it and it does eventually go away, but then when FC floats down to normal levels..it returns within a month.and I'm positive FC is not dropping below minimum according to cya chart on here. It's super frustrating..thanks again

Please fill out your signature with your equipment.
Can u collect the substance& try to dry it out? Gritty = dirt, slimy= algae.
Do u have steps? Have u removed & cleaned them? They are like algae hotels.
Many need modifications so they don’t harbor algae.

Pictures are difficult to diagnose but that looks like dead algae to me. If it "poofs" away when you try to vacuum, it is not dirt.........that pretty much narrows it down.
Every year I slam it and it does eventually go away
That's not how the SLAM works. Algae, both dead and alive is eliminated DURING the SLAM......not eventually.

With what appears to me to be dead algae, you need to SLAM the pool. Read the process carefully and follow it to a T. Make sure you DO NOT stop the SLAM until you meet the three end criteria listed

Reactions: Mdragger88
Pictures are difficult to diagnose but that looks like dead algae to me. If it "poofs" away when you try to vacuum, it is not dirt.........that pretty much narrows it down.

That's not how the SLAM works. Algae, both dead and alive is eliminated DURING the SLAM......not eventually.

With what appears to me to be dead algae, you need to SLAM the pool. Read the process carefully and follow it to a T. Make sure you DO NOT stop the SLAM until you meet the three end criteria listed
Thanks so much for post..what I meant by the "eventually" every year at same time this happens..the dust/algae..and I do slam the pool.and eventually,during the slam process..the dust goes away...but then when slam is done, I'll let my FC drop from 16ppm back to between 5-7 ppm.. but the dust returns in a month..and my FC never drops below 4, and I believe the lowest my FC can drop at 40 CYA is 3ppm.. that's why I was questioning whether it could be pollen.? If that makes sense.i hope I describes it well enough. I just hate using all the chlorine if it could be pollen or something else..but seeing the dust gets frustrating after watching my chemicals like a hawk..thanks again. This forum is my go-to.i love it

Please fill out your signature with your equipment.
Can u collect the substance& try to dry it out? Gritty = dirt, slimy= algae.
Do u have steps? Have u removed & cleaned them? They are like algae hotels.
Many need modifications so they don’t harbor algae.
I'll try to collect..but if I get close to it. poofs into the netherworld.ill update my signature but slam in meantime..thanks

Slam & yank the steps. It took me several rounds of slamming & drilling holes in mine to get adequate circulation & be able to get to the nooks & crannies with a bottle brush with them still in the pool. Every time I removed them there would be a collection of orange/brown algae in a spot i hadn’t previously been able to reach. The last time I left no ledge/ crevice without a cleaning/circulation hole near it.
Now i can routinely scrub at them while in the pool & I also can blast them out with the water hose nozzle when i top up the pool. I remove & clean them with bleach water at the beginning & end of the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Slam & yank the steps. It took me several rounds of slamming & drilling holes in mine to get adequate circulation & be able to get to the nooks & crannies with a bottle brush with them still in the pool. Every time I removed them there would be a collection of orange/brown algae in a spot i hadn’t previously been able to reach. The last time I left no ledge/ crevice without a cleaning/circulation hole near it.
Now i can routinely scrub at them while in the pool & I also can blast them out with the water hose nozzle when i top up the pool. I remove & clean them with bleach water at the beginning & end of the season.
Yes.i think that's a great idea..it's nearly impossible to clean them while in the water..thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.