Brown/Light Grey substance keep appearing on the bottom of my pool

By "my pool is empty now" i meant there is nothing in there but water:)
Oh good. I was afraid you drained it.
High chlorine will fade a liner. Very low pH will wrinkle it.
Not sure what the brown spots would be. It's not from regular liquid chlorine and the algae would not stain it.
Do you have trees nearby, dropping stuff in the pool?
Did you pour salt in the pool? Some people have complained of staining from the Clorox brand.
Have you added anything else besides plain-old no-additives liquid chlorine?
How often are you cleaning the filter? Is the pump running 24/7? Is the SWG running (should not be)?
Are you keeping the water at SLAM levels all day and night (as best you can)?
How many days have you been in this level of the SLAM where the water is almost clear and mounds of dead algae accumulate on the bottom?

You might be at the place where you need "P.O.P" (pool owner patience)

I was keeping chlorine at Slam level for about 4-5 days. I than got busy with work and was not able to check it as often but was adding liquid 10% chlorine from time to time. No I am running very low on chlorine testing reagent. The new one will only come on Monday. Maybe my filter is not filtering all the dead algae. I was vacuuming cleaning the cartridge and brushing the pool daily for about a week now.

I've found when I can't keep the SLAM levels up, it takes longer for the algae to die and not settle to the bottom
Following the SLAM Process. If you continue to get dead algae, it was killed by the chlorine. Patience.
Add each day the chlorine you have been adding. I would not swim during this time.
Are you able to follow this ^^^^^ until the regents come in?

I feel your frustration. I am having a small amount of brownish looking stuff in my pool, too. No matter what I do it keeps coming back, only less now. I feel like I should have invested in pool bleach stock. I brush and vaccum, brush and vaccum. Still have not been swimming yet this summer. I have decided to let my chlorine levels go back to normal tomorrow and just try to get some enjoyment out of the pool. What a pain! I have passed the OCLT with flying colors and the CC is 0. Water is good except for the stupid itty but of light brown looking sand on the same place . I have kept the bleach up according to my CYA and then some. This stuff will not leave. It has beaten me.

I feel your frustration. I am having a small amount of brownish looking stuff in my pool, too. No matter what I do it keeps coming back, only less now. I feel like I should have invested in pool bleach stock. I brush and vaccum, brush and vaccum. Still have not been swimming yet this summer. I have decided to let my chlorine levels go back to normal tomorrow and just try to get some enjoyment out of the pool. What a pain! I have passed the OCLT with flying colors and the CC is 0. Water is good except for the stupid itty but of light brown looking sand on the same place . I have kept the bleach up according to my CYA and then some. This stuff will not leave. It has beaten me.
Yes, I am almost at that point. My 11 year old is itching to go to the pool. I'll give it 2 more days...

Reactions: game
@game @Mshepels
You can safely swim in a pool as long as the FC is above the minimum and at or below SLAM level based on your CYA. You must also be able to see the bottom of the pool in the deep end of the pool.

Reactions: game and mariane
Were you able to get rid of the dead algae? Ours still keeps getting the dead algae on the bottom. I just vacuumed this morning and it is already back. Slammed for about a week. Passed everything. FRUSTRATING!Have not been able to swim!

Hi. The dead algae, keeps coming back. I got it to a point that it was very minimal and decided to stop. I want my kid to have a pool with all this social distancing. The dead algae have gotten more, the water is clear though. I might resume the SLAM in the future.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi. The dead algae, keeps coming back. I got it to a point that it was very minimal and decided to stop. I want my kid to have a pool with all this social distancing. The dead algae have gotten more, the water is clear though. I might resume the SLAM in the future.
Since we have changed our sand in our filter all is good! We are going swimming! Dead algae gone!

Reactions: carnivalday
Folks, the dead algae isn’t coming back. What you are seeing is newly killed algae, settling. This means there is still algae in the water, and you need to keep up the SLAM. Backing off of the SLAM too early will drag out the process.

When no more dead algae appears (because there is nothing left in the water to kill) that’s when you consider doing the OCLT.

Hello,
I am still struggling with the dead algae. It has been so frustrating. I am working during the day and can’t monitor the FC during the day. The dead algae (which is black in color) keeps coming back. I vacuum it out at night and brush with no results. I maintained the chlorine level during the 4 days I was off but I guess it was not enough. It seems like I’m dealing with this all summer. I don’t know what to do at this point.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.