Broken pipe to vacuum port

new-pool-owner

Apr 6, 2019
California
While doing remodeling I had some of the concrete patio around the pool removed. During this process the PVC pipe for the vacuum port was cracked. It got cracked right next to the edge as it stuck out of the concrete pool form, giving no surface to glue in a union piece to repair.

The pipe is small. Definitely less than 1 1/2", maybe 3/4" or something like that. To repair it I was thinking to carefully chip away at the concrete form surrounding the pipe--just enough to glue a union piece.

Given that I am just learning how old residential pools like mine operate, I'd like to hear the expert's thoughts on this.

There are internal PVC couplers sold in various sizes that might work but will cause a restriction.

Are you sure this is a vacuum (suction) line and not a pressure cleaner line? A vacuum (suction) line that’s less than 1-1/2” diameter is fairly useless. Pressure cleaner lines are often smaller diameter like 3/4”.

While doing remodeling I had some of the concrete patio around the pool removed. During this process the PVC pipe for the vacuum port was cracked. It got cracked right next to the edge as it stuck out of the concrete pool form, giving no surface to glue in a union piece to repair.

The pipe is small. Definitely less than 1 1/2", maybe 3/4" or something like that. To repair it I was thinking to carefully chip away at the concrete form surrounding the pipe--just enough to glue a union piece.

Given that I am just learning how old residential pools like mine operate, I'd like to hear the expert's thoughts on this.
I have personally repaired this type of problem myself. I used a diamond concrete wheel on a 4 inch grinder and carefully cut the concrete within a half inch or so away from the pipe and chiseled the concrete away from the pipe. Question for you: is there movement possible with the pipe after exposing the crack? a slip union will require the pipe to move a little to engage both pieces. Post a picture of the crack, that will help

Are you sure this is a vacuum (suction) line and not a pressure cleaner line? A vacuum (suction) line that’s less than 1-1/2” diameter is fairly useless. Pressure cleaner lines are often smaller diameter like 3/4”.

Actually I am not sure! I never heard of a pressure cleaner line and only a vacuum port, so I thought that was it.
I do have a booster pump in the system, is that used for this? Would the pressure cleaner port would be used for something like this: https://www.polarispool.com/en/videos/pressure/why-polaris-pressure

Question for you: is there movement possible with the pipe after exposing the crack? a slip union will require the pipe to move a little to engage both pieces. Post a picture of the crack, that will help

Probably not. It's embedded into the concrete at an angle. Inside the concrete there is a buried 45 degree angle. I think cutting making some relief cuts into the concrete and then using a chisel like you said is the best way. I can easily probably expose enough to get a union piece on there--after all for a 3/4" pipe you only need about 1/2" exposure.

I'll get a picture for you guys later. Thanks!

Sounds like you have a pressure cleaner with the booster pump.

That is 1970's technology. Consider getting a robot if you decide to not repair the booster line.

The Pool Cleaner is not a robot. It is a suction side cleaner.

A robot is electrically driven, has an independent pump and filter built into it. You do not use your pool pump to power it. They clean the pool far better than most any other method.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The Pool Cleaner is not a robot. It is a suction side cleaner.

A robot is electrically driven, has an independent pump and filter built into it. You do not use your pool pump to power it. They clean the pool far better than most any other method.

So after seeing the large price tag on the robots, I was wondering what is better about the robot vs a suction side vacuum cleaner? And what the difference in performance between a suction side vacuum cleaner and a pressure cleaner?

And what the difference in performance between a suction side vacuum cleaner and a pressure cleaner?

I happen to like my Polaris 380 pressure cleaner. It has a booster pump to give proper pressure and not reliant on the skimmer suction. And it has a bag to capture all the dirt and not clog up your filter with what it captures. It needs a rebuild every few years to replace worn parts.

I was wondering what is better about the robot vs a suction side vacuum cleaner?
The robots have their own pump and filter. Thus you do not need to run your main pump as with a suction cleaner or your main pump and a booster pump for a pressure cleaner. If your electric rates are high, this can be significant.

They are able to climb the walls and clean the waterline. I was amazed how much more dirt it picked up when I put the robot in the first time.

Probably not. It's embedded into the concrete at an angle. Inside the concrete there is a buried 45 degree angle. I think cutting making some relief cuts into the concrete and then using a chisel like you said is the best way. I can easily probably expose enough to get a union piece on there--after all for a 3/4" pipe you only need about 1/2" exposure.

IF there is enough movement to move one of the pipes sideways to Slip a union over you can slide a union over one pipe, align the two then slide half way to the other. Unions have a stop in the middle, I have heard there are repair unions without a stop, I couldn't find one. I have used a dremmel type tool to carefully remove the stop to allow the union to slide completely on one pipe. You then glue both pipes heavily WITHOUT PRIMER, slide the union over to join both. Primer makes the bond too fast and it wont slide back. Christy brand glue seems to set up slower too, that helps.
if no movement possible, google the four 90's method of joining two pvc pipes. This method is complicated to explain but will attach two pipes with no movement. I have done this, its takes carefull measuring and cutting but works and will take pressure. As a last resort I have also cut unions and pipe down the middle lengthwise so they snap over the damage areas and glue the doubler pipe down and install a couple worm gear clamps for extra hold. Good luck

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.