Bronze Supporter
Oct 21, 2017
Jacksonville, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hayward Super Pump Self Priming, Century Model C48K2N143B1, SER 30513J2, HP1, KW .82, Volts 115/230, RPM 3450, Amps 15.75, HZ 60. Not sure of age, came w/ house, but at least 5 years old, I doubt it was brand new when home purchased, so my best guess would be at least 10 years old.

Noticed pump was not running (start/stop is on timer). Breaker was tripped. Turned pump on a few times and breaker kept tripping instantly. One time it buzzed for a few seconds and then tripped. The buzzing thing happened upon opening a few weeks ago so I had to jump start the pump to fix (impeller was pretty tight) but it's been running fine since (actually appears to move water better than it did in previous years but can't verify w/ data haha). Tried to jump start again, impeller was a little tight but came lose pretty easy (although the fact that it was a little tight does worry me). Tried again and it's been tripping instantly every time since. We got a boat load of rain around the time I first noticed it but it's been pretty dry here for a couple days. Capacitor appears in good condition, no bulges. Breaker appears good, test button flips it, I have a simple 110-220-Volt AC/DC Voltage Tester and 110 was lighting up when testing both terminal screws on the breaker.

At the present moment, that's kind of where my knowledge runs out so kind of stuck. Replace the capacitator and give it a try? Replace the breaker and give it a try? Replace the motor? Call an electrician? Call the pool store I trust for mechanical issues (but not water chemistry haha)? Anyway I can isolate the cause? Of course, wouldn't' want to buy a pump when it's just the capacitator or buy an new capacitator for a bad pump or pay for a service call on something simple, etc.

If i do need a motor I'd be curious if I should just get the exact same one I have now or go w/ something different (ie: variable).

If the impeller is difficult to move, then it is most likely bad bearings. Has the pump been leaking recently?

Another possibility is that there is something stuck in the impeller preventing rotation. You can remove the motor from the wet end to inspect the impeller.

Reactions: keatz85
If the impeller is difficult to move, then it is most likely bad bearings. Has the pump been leaking recently?

Another possibility is that there is something stuck in the impeller preventing rotation. You can remove the motor from the wet end to inspect the impeller.
Difficult to move period? Or after sitting for a while? It was pretty stuck at spring startup and barely stuck just recently, seems to move pretty well after "unsticking" it manually.

I did notice a small leak this season where the motor meets the housing.

That sounds like a bearing issue. You can either replace the bearings, replace the motor or replace the entire pump.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.