Breaker Size for Superflo VS

MikeSaw75

May 28, 2020
Illinois
So I'm planning on running the electrical and gas for my pool next weekend and have a question. I am getting the Pentair Superflo VS and running it on 120v but cannot for the life of me find out the circuit breaker size. I know it is rated at 13.2 amps max and wanted to put in a 20amp GFCI breaker. Would this be okay?
Code is requiring me to use a twist lock connection on the pump itself. I plan on using a L5-30 power cord which is 30 amp. Overkill? I cannot find any 20 amp twist lock options.

Normally, you want to have an operating current less than 80% of the breaker rating. So in this case, you can use a 20 amp breaker or a 30 amp is ok too. However, you need to make sure the wiring to the outlet (not just the power cord) can handle 30 amp as well.

Reactions: MikeSaw75
So I'm going to install a standard 20 amp breaker in my service panel and then go into a faceless GFCI all inside the house. From there I'm going to run it outside into a Hubbell HBLPKL520 Pool Pump Kit. This kit comes with a 20 amp switch and twist lock receptacle along with a waterproof box and cover. I was able to find an L5-20 power cord also to wire into the pump.

I'm going to run a separate circuit using another faceless GFCI to two duplex outlets so I can plug in my heater and a SWG when I choose to get one.

Now time to dig the hole to set the 6x6 post so I can attach the electrical boxes.

If you install a SWCG in the future, it will need a timer so it is powered off when the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.