Brand new Pentair Mastertemp heater not working, error code 128 r14

May 7, 2018
Los Angeles
Hi everyone,

I just had most of my pool equipment replaced last week. Chose a local company based on good reviews and local recommendations, but wasn't completely happy with install process due to delays, miscommunications, etc. They finally finished on Friday. All looked good, but today was the first time I wanted to use the heater. With operation, heater turns on, goes through light show, green spa or pool light is on, yellow heat light flashes, but after about 2-3 minutes red "service heater" light comes on. Display initially shows 66 degrees (my controller shows 71). I did set the temp on the heater to 104 for spa. The main pump they installed is VS pentair pump (I have another booster pump and water feature pump) and is set to run at 2400 rmp. Company is coming back on Monday to take a look, but I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Thanks.

Do you get an initial puff of heat?

Check the gas valves are open.

Check that you are getting sufficient flow. Is the filter plugged? When was it last cleaned?

Gas valve is open. I do not notice initial puff of heat. Also, just noticed that salt cell controller is flashing "check salt cell". Could that be an issue?

What SWG do you have?

I doubt it unless it is a low flow problem which it should not be at 2400 rpm.

There are diagnostic LEDs on the back of the heater board. You need to remove the top to see them. You can dig into the heater or wait for the repair guy on Monday.

What SWG do you have?

I doubt it unless it is a low flow problem which it should not be at 2400 rpm.

There are diagnostic LEDs on the back of the heater board. You need to remove the top to see them. You can dig into the heater or wait for the repair guy on Monday.
SWG is Hayward. Yeah, I don't want to open brand new filter. I guess I will have to wait until Monday.

You have a mutt for pool equipment...Jandy Aqualink, Pentair heater, Hayward SWG.

How about creating your signature with details of your pool and equipment so we can better help you with your problems?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Connected to Jandy iAqualink which they also installed at the same time.

The company installed 3 new motors, heater, new salt cell, wireless controller and filter enclosure/filter. All brand new and from Pentair.

SWG is Hayward. Yeah, I don't want to open brand new filter. I guess I will have to wait until Monday.
You're jumping around all over the place with your description of what you have.

Can you show pictures of everything?

Why would they install everything from different manufacturers?

Does the automation control the variable speed pump?

Does it control the SWG?

So sorry for jumping all over.

Back story. Bought a house in early March with pool system in terrible shape. Got a few quotes for replacement and was told that all needs to be replaced, but SWG system and controller were salvageable. I had a iAqualink controlling Pentair motor in my previous home for years with no issues, so I agreed mostly to save on cost. Also, there is a wired Jandy controller panel inside the house and I wanted to preserve that since it's convenient for wife and kids. SWG is Hayward, but the pool company put in a brand new salt cell as part of the deal.

Here are the pictures of the installed system. Everything works but the heater. Having tried to run it a few more times, it seems that it never ignites. Blower and lights come on, yellow "heating light" flashes, them becomes solid, then flashes again. After a few minutes, red "service heater" light comes on. No error messages on pain display.

Attachments

• IMG_8011.jpeg
    IMG_8011.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_8010.jpeg
    IMG_8010.jpeg
    453.5 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8009.jpeg
    IMG_8009.jpeg
    438.7 KB · Views: 14
It's really difficult to understand everything you have.

Did you read through this reference:

Is the heater inside or outside?

Check the error lights.

Since this is new, don't do too much.

Didn't the installer start everything for a test run?

Is the gas line new or is the heater a replacement?

It might be air in the gas line.

Are all of the external gas valves open?

Is the gas valve in the heater On?

Since all of this is brand new, you should just wait for the installer to check everything.

It's ridiculous when an installer finishes installing something and they don't test run everything to verify that everything works correctly.

Thank you everyone for your advice. It turns out the installer forgot to flip the "on" switch on the inside of the heater. They came out, flipped it on and now it all works.
I think this is a good lesson for all - if you have a serviceman come out to install or repair, there should be verification that everything is working - even the items they did not touch - before that service man departs.

Reactions: JamesW
I think this is a good lesson for all - if you have a serviceman come out to install or repair, there should be verification that everything is working - even the items they did not touch - before that service man departs.
Seems like it should be common sense for a service person.

They should want to know that everything is working properly before they leave.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.