Bought a Pool and it came with a house.

Re: Bought a Pool and it came with a houses.

Oh nooo, yelp mums the word :shock:. I can't say I'm surprised though because when you use the TFP method Everybody, Critters included, seem to want to take a dip in it. LOL. Luckily all I've had in mine so far is birds, 2 dead and one that looked like this :drown: when I saved him with the net.

I get along with most critters, but I really don't like bats. If they are just flying around, no problem but on the ground close up and personal, don't want a thing to do with them. Had one in the house one time, we locked ourselves in the bedroom until we could get someone to come out and capture it.

Ok, new test results.
FC 10 Yeaaa, finally
CC 0
PH 7.4 (note that the PH readings appear to have held true from a FC of 14 which is pretty interesting)
TA of 90

With that, remind me where I want my PH, Pool school says 7.5 - 7.8. I think it was 7.6.
Assuming 7.6 is what I want to hit, the according to Pool Math, I need to add 2 cups and 6oz of Borax.
Sound right?
Thanks

Hi Mark,

That FC 10ppm has been a long time coming for sure. I'm glad it finally got there for you. As far as the pH I'd leave it right there. 7.4 is a fine level to swim at. A lot of people adjust theirs between 7.4-7.6 range. Actually mine is at 7.4 right now too.

If you do for whatever reason want to raise to 7.6 that's fine too.

Please recheck Pool Math because best I can determine, I think you are accidently looking at the 22oz by volume required for washing soda and soda ash, not the Borax-which is on the line just below that. This is really easy to do since they are all right there together. But by my calculations, 51 ounces By Weight of Borax is needed to raise pH from 7.4ppm to 7.6ppm, which would be 3 pounds and 3 ounces). I hope this helps and have a nice night.

if that is good then I am not messing with it. I see the difference between your results and mine, when adding borax earlier it was increasing more then what pool math said it would do. so I am now using 30,000 gallons vs the 30,600 in my sig. pool math and actual results are right on after I did that. I need to update my sig.
Thanks for the advice.

Yes I noticed you had changed the pool size gallons as well, and I had already changed mine on PM too. :) I had already checked on both gallon sizes though, and the weight difference in Borax between the 30000, and 30600 was only 1 oz difference anyway, so I'm not sure that's what was going on.

Here is a thought though, perhaps, before with the FC above 10, I'm curious if it could have been possibly reading higher than expected, and not actually being higher because of the high FC? Since you are now at 10, and it's still reading the same as it has since at FC of 14ppm which you noted in Comment #143 "(note that the PH readings appear to have held true from a FC of 14 which is pretty interesting)"

Here's something else to possibly consider. I'm not exactly sure how long it takes after the FC drops below 10 ppm for the pH reading to stop reading high, if it has been reading higher than expected prior too? (In other words, I don't know if it is an immediate return to "normal readings," or if it takes a day or so to stabilize back to reading normal).

That's honestly something I've not ran across yet, but would love to find out the answer to. I know someone following this Thread who may know the answers to these questions.

KIMKATS, who is one smart little cookie, and has been around much longer than I have, (lol she and a couple more taught me everything I know about the TFP method. LOL now if I could get them to teach me all They know I'd be in great shape. Perhaps she's ran across something like this or read something about this before, and can give us her thoughts on:

1) Why the amount Pool Math said to add "Prior to today with the above 10 FC level caused the pH level to appear to "Increase more" than it said it would.
Is it possible that the readings were what was high following the Borax additions because of the high FC level, and not necessarily the pH levels themselves?

2)Also if the levels were in fact only reading higher then they actually were, (it appears to still be doing so since the pH has continued to read at 7.4 ppm from his FC of 14 through today's drop to 10). Do you know how long on average after a FC drops to 10, or less, does it take the pH readings to return to reading "normally" again?
Should it be an almost immediate return to normal readings, or does it take a couple of days to stabilize after?

Also Mark, if that does end up being the case you would then need to adjust the pH because anything much lower than 7.4ppm will not be at a very comfortable swimming level for your eyes and skin, but wait until the pH test tells you where exactly your level is it. I'm sure you are very close if not right on it because no one complained of their eyes burning at that pool party, did they? That's a sure fire way of realizing your pH readings are off.

Anyway hopefully Kim will let us know what she thinks about it. Have a wonderful night.

- - - Updated - - -

TY Kim. I'm trying, and learned from a few of the best. ;)

To Kim's question, the water looks great, when the pump is off, hard to tell there is water in it. Which makes me wonder about the quarter test, we tried that, out of about 4 of us, 1 could see that it is heads. But when people are doing that test, is it typically in a 9 foot deep pool?? If we put it around 4 - 5 feet, no problem. Also some commented that they could see from one end of the pool to the other under water, I cant do that, not sure what that means.

Now to CrackerJacks questions.
1. Iam not sure if I am spacing out or what, now with no changes to pool math, I get 50 ounces per weight, not the 51 ounces you got. And I didn't change anything in pool math. Was wondering if it was since I had upgraded to Windows 10 with edge, but brought up IE and still got 50oz.
2. No complaints about burning eyes, but I was in the pool twice today and did notice a little burning, but I have always been hyper sensitive to chlorine or ph, or something in the pool. My eyes were a little red when I got out this afternoon. But taking a shower can make my eyes red.
3. Based on trends, should be down to 9 tomorrow and we can see where we end up for PH there.
4. I am suspecting that at least in my case, FC less then 14 did not impact PH readings.

For your question 2, based on Jason's comment that you posted in #120, it should be immediate, no more increase in PH caused be high FC, and the reagents are no longer fighting the high FC.

Now to CrackerJacks questions.
1. Iam not sure if I am spacing out or what, now with no changes to pool math, I get 50 ounces per weight, not the 51 ounces you got. And I didn't change anything in pool math. Was wondering if it was since I had upgraded to Windows 10 with edge, but brought up IE and still got 50oz. The 50 ounces is on the 30000 gallons, and the 51 ounces is on the 30600 gallons.

2. No complaints about burning eyes, but I was in the pool twice today and did notice a little burning, but I have always been hyper sensitive to chlorine or ph, or something in the pool. My eyes were a little red when I got out this afternoon. But taking a shower can make my eyes red.
If your eyes are in fact having some sensitivity you might want to go ahead, and bump the pH up to 7.6ppm in that case to see if it helps?
In a pool with too much chlorine, my eyes get red, and my vision will remains hazy the remainder of the night. I get this huge halo effect. But with your excellent numbers, unless you have a chlorine allergy (which is rare), or as you said are just super "hypersensitive" you shouldn't have any issues with that.

3. Based on trends, should be down to 9 tomorrow and we can see where we end up for PH there. Hopefully you're level is right on the money.

4. I am suspecting that at least in my case, FC less then 14 did not impact PH readings. (I'm pretty sure you meant, "higher then", and I'm hoping that too. I'm hoping it's all good).

For your question 2, based on Jason's comment that you posted in #120, it should be immediate, no more increase in PH caused be high FC, and the reagents are no longer fighting the high FC.
Yes, that's my thought on it as well that it "Should Be Immediate." I'm trying to rule out that there could be a small time frame there during the drop from high to acceptable range for pH level checks where the higher reading, If present, remains for a short period of time after the level drops to 10 or lower. I think your level checks tomorrow, if you are at 9ppm will give us a lot of info.

LOL I'm sorry. Having been a cardiac nurse, and teaching college nursing courses for many years I tend to analyze things to death. I want ALL the details associated with everything. I love science, and chemistry. I love learning how one thing changing, effects the change of something else, etc. and I also want to know Why, and How it does it. The human body's levels I can tell you all about, but I'm still working on learning some of the pool balancing stuff. But, it seems a day doesn't go by that I don't learn something new. So between that, and being able to help others clean up their pools and watch the transformations is what keeps us, (or at least me), coming back.

Mark, I do want to commend you on how well you are doing on learning all this info too. Some of it can be very confusing sometimes. You've had a ton of information thrown at you over a short period of time, and you are doing so well understanding the info that's been thrown your way. Keep up the great job. Before you know it you'll be out there helping others try to figure it all out too. Have a wonderful night. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks for the compliment, I find this kind of stuff fun too as long as we don't get into hard core chemistry, I passed college chemistry on a D.

For this comment "I am suspecting that at least in my case, FC less then 14 did not impact PH readings. (I'm pretty sure you meant, "higher than", and I'm hoping that too. I'm hoping it's all good). "
I really meant less then 14 and that is based on the first truly accurate results that I got was at a FC of 13.6 with a PH of 7.2. Before that it was just yellow so some place below 6.8 but IMHO, you cant count that since it is so elusive.

Thank you for being a nurse, my wife is a med surge (sp?) nurse and I cant even listen to half the horror stories she tells me. You guys should get combat pay for what you do.

Got ya on the "less then, " and I agree on the other being too "elusive" to count. I'm still hoping that it's all good lol.

YW on the nursing part. I'm glad to hear your wife is a nurse too. Is she an analyzer also?

There's not a lot I've not seen, or done in the field. I loved being a nurse, but unfortunately my combat got too rough one day, and put me completely out of commission, so my combat pay now comes in the form of disability. I still renew my licenses every year because even though I'm not able to use them anymore, I refuse to give them up.

I'm actually having surgery #35 on Sept 17th (not all of them related to the injury), and am so not looking forward to it, but life goes on, (lol I hope). I have to take a lot of pain meds and other meds now, and also have an implanted pain pump with Dilaudid in it. So if my sentences seem to run on, or be fragmented sometimes that's because of 2 reasons, 1)I take a lot of very strong meds, and 2) Nurses do Not generally write in complete sentences, we abbreviate, and fragment everything.

I'm looking forward to seeing what your tomorrow's test results are. Have a nice night, and tell your wife Kudos on an awesome career choice. :)

PH will read at it's level as soon as FC is just below 10. It is the FC that messes with the READING of PH not the PH its self.

Always SO nice to hear the water is looking good! FUN times.

I bet that once the stuff you scrubbed off the coping settles and clears out of the pool you will be able to see to the end of your pool under water IF you wear your glasses if you need them on dry land LOL. When I was doing this "test" I forgot that I did not have my glasses on so of course I could not see to the other side! Husband got a good laugh over that one!

Every day you will see a new level of clearness!

Kim

On to the next experience. We are going to be out of town for 2 days. So far my FC consumption seems to be around 1.5 per day. My target with a 80 CYA is 9 low side is 6. Technically, shouldn't need to go over 9 and would not drop below the low of 6. But that sounds too close to me, I was thinking to bump it up to 11 just before we leave. In theory, should be back to 9 or a little under when we get back. Also, what about the pump, I do have a timer but it is not operable right now, will try to get that resolved before we go but if not, would I leave it on or off?
Thanks as always.

On to the next experience. We are going to be out of town for 2 days. So far my FC consumption seems to be around 1.5 per day. My target with a 80 CYA is 9 low side is 6. Technically, shouldn't need to go over 9 and would not drop below the low of 6. But that sounds too close to me, I was thinking to bump it up to 11 just before we leave. In theory, should be back to 9 or a little under when we get back. Also, what about the pump, I do have a timer but it is not operable right now, will try to get that resolved before we go but if not, would I leave it on or off?
Thanks as always.

For the FC, I would say as long as you don't go over SLAM level, bumping it up a little extra is a good idea. The pump- running would be better than not, I would think, as long as everything is in good working order. But someone else with more knowledge might be able to say for sure.

The bump to 11 or 12 or in that range sounds good at the rate of your drops. As long as you be sure, and circulate the added chlorine well before leaving you can probably get away with leaving it off for a couple days and be fine, but yes ideally the timer running it a few hours a day is suggested IF possible. You can also put pucks in a floater if you are afraid the numbers won't hold out too BUT with your HIGH CYA already, and your slow drops I personally think you should have no issue maintaining it with just the liquid chlorine bump up. Plus the pucks will add more CYA, and you certainly don't need more of that lol.

Due to storm (lightening) possibility, mechanical issues, etc. I personally wouldn't leave mine going the entire time with no one there to watch it. 2 days should be ok not to back slide you any as long as the chlorine is present and well circulated before you leave. That's just my opinion on how I'd do it, others may have other suggestions to offer. Have a wonderful day. :)

Test results for tonight
FC 9 Finally
CC 0 As always
PH 7.3 Now the debate can begin, did it drop from 7.4 last night naturally or was it the result of the FC dropping under 10? We will probably never know.
TA 90 Been hanging in there for awhile.

Based on CrackerJack4U's comment above, I think I will shoot for a PH of 7.6 and see if I get some eye relief.

Cracker, keep me straight here.

Pool math says to add 1.1 76oz box.

Since I just have one box, will throw that in and see where I get.
How does that sound for a plan?

I thought your pH had to be pretty close to comfort level. The 1 box add sounds like an awesome plan Mark. So Let Er rip. It will sit your pH at 7.5ppm and 1/2 lol which will be plenty close to 7.6 pH. Hopefully just the slight pH change will resolve the eye burning issue. Let me know if it helps please. Have a nice night.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.