Bought a Pool and it came with a house.

Re: Bought a Pool and it came with a houses.

Pre-dissolve and pour in front of a return, according to Pool School.

When I've added borax I just walk around the pool and sprinkle it in, and it appears to dissolve pretty quickly. Pre-dissolving should be better, though, and would allow you to measure sooner after each addition. I think 30 minutes would be long enough to wait before measuring pH again after each dose of borax.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, that's the right stuff.

Everything is looking good. Keep us posted. Whoot whoot, Go Pool party. :whoot::party::splash:

PS- LOL -invites can be sent TO: All the cool Kids,
AT: TFP
LOL just kidding. I hope you all have a blast this weekend, you've certainly earned it. :)

Never mind, found the answer, yes aerating will bring up PH slowly, so aerating away.
But now I have a new question,
Got a new Nautilus Plus and dying to try it out, but, it says the FC range is 2 - 4. But are they taking into account the CYA? With my CYA of 80, my target FC is 9, but isn't that the same effective action of a FC of say 3 at CYA of 40?
Does that make sense?

Haven't done anything yet, but, got my new eyeballs, should I go ahead and be aerating? That makes ph go up, right? Planning on running another round of testing at about 2:00, got lots of good sun going today, so that should help.
Thanks

Yes go ahead and aerate, but ensure you retest and compensate chemical wise for that possible increase as to not get too high on your level.

I've not used a Nautilus Plus I'm sure plenty of folks here have though, so perhaps one of them will come along and offer suggestions or perhaps do a NEW Thread on that topic alone and then return to this one to complete your Slam stuff. BUT from what I've read very few of the instructions on equipment etc. take into account the Chlorine/CYA ratio. So yes what you are saying makes perfect sense and your thoughts regarding that are from what I read exactly correct. I hope this helps.

I never know if I should start a new thread. From what I have read, appears each person has their own opinion :) Thanks for your answer, big help as always.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

New test results
FC 13 - Still using the .2 test
PH, still off the charts low, yellow result
TA 70
So unless someone hollers, DONT DO IT!! I am going to dilute my first box of borax and get it in the pool and see what happens.

Thanks Mark. Here's how I decide when to start a new one. If it something of necessity that you need answers on quickly sometimes that is the best way because other wise just the ones following/subscribing to this thread will be the only ones to see it, and if we don't know about that particular thing then we can't really help you on it.

I have started them on Important things that would benefit others, safety aspects like the ? Magic Eraser potential reaction thing etc.
Starting a New thread on just a Particular Question/Issue/Topic helps open you up to a larger audience that may be able to quickly and accurately address your questions/issues, or to be able to quickly deliver important/beneficial/safety info to a large amount of people at one time.

I hope this helps. Have a wonderful day. :)

GO FOR IT!!! LOL the FC looks some better.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Yes!! Up to 7. But, I think I was wrong on my TA and it is looking like 90. So what do I do now? To lower TA, it says to lower PH to 7.0 to 7.2 and aerate. I am aerating, should I try to bump up the PH a little more like 7.2 and go from there? 1.3 boxes to go to 7.2, could just add one box? I am still not sure my gallons are right, I dropped it down some but haven't been close enough to really test the accuracy of my results. I was guessing I was at 6.8, and per pool math, the one box should have raised the PH by .28, so in the ballpark I think.
Thoughts?

Sorry I was outside in the pool. The high TA is only a real issue if your CH is also high because it causes your CSI to rise which can lead to scaling, but since you have a Vinyl liner generally they say we (as I have one too) shouldn't be concerned with CH. So the high TA right now shouldn't be of concern right now.

Getting the pH adjusted is more important regarding potential equipment damage, and swimming consideration. So lol carry on. and Check levels often.

EDIT: according to Pool Math the change in the TA also changes the amount of Borax that May be required from the original calculated amount of 238 oz to 320 oz. (so you may have to use the remainder of your 4th box, and maybe even a little after to get there?,but continue aerating, and that too will help drive that pH higher to help perhaps not having to buy any more borax.

How are you aerating exactly? The easiest way is to adjust the new return jet eyes you just put on to the top of the surface where the water is skimming the surface making bubbles. It will drive the pH up pretty quickly especially with more than 1 jet aimed that way so again Watch your level closely so you don't over shoot it. I hope this helps.

You can let it aerate a little longer from your last add to ensure it mixes well. Sweeping/Brushing will also help ensure any that happens to settle to the bottom also gets accounted for in the level.

Brushing each time. Smforte, only been in the house a little over a week and it has never been under 10. Trying to get there, will test later today and see where we are at.

I need to print off some pages and keep them handy, that is dependent though on finding the printer first :(
Latest test results
FC 13.6
CC 0
PH 7.2 is that ok for swimming? Also was being lazy and it sat for a minute, went to 7.4. That doesnt count, right? I think I read you use the immediate results.
TA 90
My thought is to leave it alone tonight, let it aerate over night and see where the PH is in the morning. Thoughts on that? Thanks for the help, it is greatly appreciated.

Yes 7.2 is ok for swimming, BUT is on the low end of the OK part for it. 7.0-8.0 is safe, But 7.4-7.6 is the IDEAL swimming pH for your skin, eyes, etc.

It is also possible because your FC is still above 10ppm that it too could be causing it to read higher than it really is. So if you don't want to add any more borax or may not need to then continue high aerate to attempt to get it to read 7.4-7.7 range reading with that high of a FC level to ensure you have enough pH but not too much. I think overnight aerate and allowing FC to drop more, and recheck in the AM is a good idea. If the reading is low then, you can add more then if needed.

And LOL No, increases resulting from Lazy checks, do Not count. I'd count the 1st one and consider that it MIGHT NOT be quite at 7.2 yet because of the high FC level above 10ppm or it could be higher. I hope this helps, and Have a wonderful night. :)

Last edited:

Hi Mark, I hope all is going well.

Here's something that might interest you, and is an excellent learning tool too. It should help explain what may, or may not be happening etc. Helping you to try to decide whether you should add or not add more borax etc. The original OP of the Thread questioned (Paraphrasing)-when the the pH level is high with high FC levels is it just the level, or is the pH itself that's actually high with high Fc levels, etc. It's a very interesting, and informative read.

Anyway, check out this link paying close attention to the 2nd sentence in the 2nd comment. Comment 2 gives an awesome explanation, By Jason Lion, of what is going on in there when the pH reads high with high Fc levels. http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/10966-pH-at-high-FC-levels

I hope this helps. Have a nice day.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.