Bought a home and over my head

I got the Taylor K 2006C
FC well I tried to test for this. The water never turned pink. And I dumped enough powder in there that the water couldn’t dissolve anymore
pH. 7.3
T.A. 120
C.A 1575
CYA 100

Im worried about what y’all will tell me

You need chlorine yesterday! How close is a Walmart to you? THey should have some liquid chlorine in the pool area. It will be in a white jug with the words pool shock on it. Do NOT get any tablets or powdered stuff as it has CYA in it and your CYA is too high already.

Reactions: setsailsoon
Congrats on the new pool! You’re going to love it. There are people on here that will make you an expert in no time. The first step is going to be to locate a huge stash of liquid chlorine. With your CYA level and algae already starting to bloom you’re going to need many gallons to get to a steady state. Walmart, Home Depot, Menards, Farm supply stores, Lowe’s, etc. Look for products labeled “liquid pool shock” or similar. They’ll have a higher concentration than plain bleach.

Good luck. It gets easier and easier, I promise.

I got the Taylor K 2006C
FC well I tried to test for this. The water never turned pink. And I dumped enough powder in there that the water couldn’t dissolve anymore
pH. 7.3
T.A. 120
C.A 1575
CYA 100

Im worried about what y’all will tell me
On the Cl test you only need to dump one scoop of powder. If there is any chlorine it will turn pink. if not it never will. Get some Chlorine in there ASAP.. You can use regular laundry chlorine with no additives.. it has a lower concentration of CL but it will work.

And you need to do a diluted CYA test. 100 is where this test tops out at, so your true value is likely higher that 100ppm. So you need to dilute your pool water with tap water and try it again. Here are the instructions for that.

On the Cl test you only need to dump one scoop of powder. If there is any chlorine it will turn pink. if not it never will. Get some Chlorine in there ASAP.. You can use regular laundry chlorine with no additives.. it has a lower concentration of CL but it will work.

And you need to do a diluted CYA test. 100 is where this test tops out at, so your true value is likely higher that 100ppm. So you need to dilute your pool water with tap water and try it again. Here are the instructions for that.
Thank you for the link! Second time I did that I got 110

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Nice job. With a CYA of 110 you are going to have a hard time getting the chlorine to be effective. You need some CYA in your water to help protect it from the sun, but at higher levels it buffers the FC too much and it become ineffective. We need to get you down to closer to 40 a more manageable level by the FC/CYA Levels and the only way to do that is to drain around 60% of your water. Read up here on water exchanges.
You might want to do the No Drain Exchange if you have a high water table in your area. To be honest there is no point dumping a lot of chlorine in there until you get your CYA down in my opinion... but you are going to have to get some in there anyway.

Last edited:
I'm so impressed with TatianaP! Diving right into the thick of it. Just want to send encouragement, we have had our pool (first one owned) for a few years now and love this method. I went into a pool store last week to buy a few things and there was a line of people waiting to get their water tested and a very unhappy person trying to figure out how to fix the algae in their pool after dumping 4!!! bags of shock in and it not working, and the person at the counter patiently trying to help her. I'm so glad that isn't me. Thankful. Hang in there! There are so many helpful people on this forum, and so patient.

Get your CYA level down and find chlorine. Pool stores sell it in big blue returnable containers (liquid chlorine shock, ask them the % concentration when you buy it), it isn't always the cheapest but you might want to bite the bullet and just do it to get your algae bloom under control. They will ask if you want your water tested, just politely say no thank you.

Nice job. With a CYA of 110 you are going to have a hard time getting the chlorine to be effective. You need some CYA in your water to help protect it from the sun, but at higher levels it buffers the FC too much and it become ineffective. We need to get you down to closer to 40 a more manageable level by the FC/CYA Levels and the only way to do that is to drain around 60% of your water. Read up here on water exchanges.
You might want to do the No Drain Exchange if you have a high water table in your area. To be honest there is no point dumping a lot of chlorine in there until you get your CYA down in my opinion... we you are going to have to get some in there
Well I rented a drain pump sooooo I’m ready to get this ball rolling thank you

Great job Tatiana! You're gonna have that pool in your control soon. Just keep it up and ask any questions you may have. Once you get the CYA level in order you'll need a SLAM then you're on TFP easy street! Only thing to be careful with is make sure you do it until you pass all 3 tests. You can make SLAM shorter by testing and re-adjusting FC several times per day.

I hope this helps!

Chris

One of the scariest things I see in your equipment room is the Romex (yellow "wire") that is being used to wire your pump. Romex is designed and approved to be used inside walls in residential wiring. To begin with, as it enters the motor there is nothing to stop the vibrating motor from wearing the insulation to the point that it shorts the wiring to the pump housing. At the very least the wire will be burned and the motor physically damaged if that occurs. Code requires that individual conductors (wires) be run in proper conduit that is attached to the motor with appropriate conduit ends. It also appears that the bond wire has become unattached from the motor, though it is hard to tell from the picture. You need to get a pool professional to assess and repair these issues before putting your pool into service. Pools are a lot of fun, but they can quickly become very dangerous, especially regarding electricity, when you put people into the mix.

Reactions: mguzzy
I finally started pumping today. Need to scrub the pool as best as I can and clean it. But it’s been storming where I live. Should I pour chlorine and scrub? Or just scrub it?

Attachments

• E91FC7D6-99F6-45B9-B9AE-87DF40F97ECE.jpeg
    E91FC7D6-99F6-45B9-B9AE-87DF40F97ECE.jpeg
    690.4 KB · Views: 56

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.