Bought a foreclosure that included a 33,000 gallon, p.i.t.a., frog hatchery

Thank you! She is pretty darn cute for a new born if I do say so myself! Back to the pool tho, now that I can see the bottom I've noticed that the liner is very wrinkled. Are there any concerns with wrinkles aside from possible trip hazards and the aesthetic displeasure? I know they're good hiding spots for algae, but are they negatively impacting the life span of my liner in any way? I'd really like to not replace it for as long as possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Congrats on the baby! I have a 3 week old at home myself! Makes it hard to keep on top of the pool, for sure!

I wouldn't worry about the wrinkles. Just try not to do anything to hurt the liner and ride it out. That's the same boat I'm in. Mine is bleached out in a bunch of spots and one of the corners is pulling away a little bit but nothing major. I'm going to push that thing off as long as I can!

Also, if you use Duke Energy, they have a rebate for installing an Energy Star pump when you finally need to replace it. They'll give you a $300 credit if it's on the Energy Star list!

Here's the link. https://www.duke-energy.com/north-carolina/savings/pool-pump.asp

Almost there. Had to cut back on the pump run time due to a $390 electric bill, I know it's against the TFP suggested method, but a pool is no good to me if I can't pay the mortgage. Right now I'm running about 10 hours then off for an entire day sometimes a little over, and vacuum immediately upon start up. Seems to be beneficial for me right now as everything drops tothe bottom quite well. Sorry for the let down TFPers, but at the end of the day I gotta do what I can afford to do. Hopefully I'll have it clear before closing time, and I'll keep posting my progress as much as possible

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

You may want to consider investing in a different pump. The cost of an energy efficient pool pump may pay for itself over the course of a year. Hayward's website, which I cannot attest to, says the EcoStar pump saves 90% of electricity use and an average of $1,500 per year. EcoStar | Pumps | In Ground Pool Pumps - Hayward Pool Products

What I can attest to is that I had some crummy HVAC units in my house. I was paying about $450 per month in electricity costs in the hottest and coldest months of the year, and closer to $200 for March/October when no AC/Heater was being used. When my pool was being installed, my units went out (again), and I finally replaced them. I didn't want to because I was already putting in a pool at the same time, but I went ahead and did it.

I was very concerned with the increased electricity costs and went with the EcoStar VSP. Oddly enough, my highest electric bill since has been about $320. Even in the low dollar months when I use little AC but the pool is running (e.g., April), the electric bill is not any higher than it was before the pool.

Didn't quite adhere to the tfp guide lines 100%, but the basic principles are what got me there. The first pic is from today, the second is where I started this battle again this year. I know it's been a while, but I just wanted to show my progress and say thank you to all those who helped show me the way!
5acc0e7cf9f7895e789878e591bea73d-1.jpg
3e24bec005af9418ec436d962095837e-1.jpg

I never actually closed it. Ran out of money, time, and patience. I tore my cover trying to get it on and couldn't afford to replace it, so the pool collected everything over fall/winter. I decided over the winter that I was going to give it one more shot, but I couldn't run the pump like I did last year or else I'd go broke. Honestly I think that was the best move I could have made. With the exception of the last couple days, my pump only ran to vacuum the bottom and the only money I spent was on liquid chlorine. I raked the bottom every day for a week straight and tried to stay as close to "shock" levels as I could. After I was satisfied with the amount of debris I removed, I let it sit and did nothing but add chlorine. The dead algae settled to the bottom and I basically vacuumed to waste every other day. The last two weeks have been a combination of vacuum and aquabot, and Saturday I turned the filter on. I started this process in late May and swam all day this past Saturday.
0cfc3a35a95b7332cb0457d3f7c8d3bf-1.jpg
9933ce1f135dcf3d6a1551b1c40bb741-1.jpg
90db644517fc5232e9b1e4995fb07190-1.jpg
8c1f144ec23bbf124172e13badaa105f-1.jpg
cbc765951219b39e0a35b42951881715-1.jpg

I only used liquid chlorine and just poured it evenly around the perimeter of the pool. I assumed it would diffuse throughout the water somewhat on its own, and it seemed to have done pretty well. I think in my previous attempts there was just so much dead algae suspended in the water that the filter couldn't keep up with the demands, so this time I decided to give the algae no choice and vacuumed it straight to waste. Once it got to the point where I could see the bottom of the deep end and there was very little green color left, I turned the filter on and it honestly cleared up in a matter of hours. Over the course of two days I went from slightly cloudy and a hint of green, to clear enough to see the screw heads on the floor drain cover.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.