Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R4
Hello,
I have a Carvin BlackRock resin pool and can not get it bonded.
Just to give some background About three weeks ago I felt a sting on one of my fingers that has a cut and a few days later felt a zap.

I called the Electrician that did the work he came out and said it was the pool pump because he disconnected the ground wire and it stopped happening.

I got a replacement pump stuck my hand in the water and got shocked. He came out the next day and ran a bonding plate in my skimmer basket that went down to the copper wire that runs all the way around the pool.

Today I stuck my hand in the pool and felt a light sting on my hand.

Can someone give me some insight? I feel totally defeated by this pool.

He said it must be the pool pump because he disconnected it's ground, and it stopped happening?
I don't know what to say about that other than it doesn't seem to make sense but I wasn't there.

But I'd have someone inspect your electrical service and have a look at how it's grounded. Perhaps you or a neighbor have something going on causing voltage on your ground.
Do you have city water?

He said it must be the pool pump because he disconnected it's ground, and it stopped happening?
I don't know what to say about that other than it doesn't seem to make sense but I wasn't there.

But I'd have someone inspect your electrical service and have a look at how it's grounded. Perhaps you or a neighbor have something going on causing voltage on your ground.
Do you have city water?
So it turns out the pool installer didnt install the grounding tether for the walls. Apparently the electrician called them. And the installer said the black rock pools dont need them.
I just email carvin and they sent me instructions. Am I going to have to empty my pool to do this ?

Attachments

• A8F34CF4-EBCC-4AFD-8E19-AC8300F5E74F.jpeg
    A8F34CF4-EBCC-4AFD-8E19-AC8300F5E74F.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 48

Do you have city water?
I do have city water

I'm pretty sure it can still be bonded in 4 equally speed locations if you remove some of the plastic support covers and bond it there. Link all bonding wires and then run it to the equipment pad to connect with the rest.

I would have that service looked at.
You shouldn't be getting any kind of feeling from ground regardless of if the pool is bonded or not.

I'm told you can get voltage on a water pipe if a neighbor or yourself has a neutral issue and if the city water pipe is your only ground it could explain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Stray voltages are part of the modern outdoor environment. It is very difficult to find out where the voltage source is. And the power company accepts some voltage is lost to the ground and is not concerned with fixing the leakage.

Bonding is supposed to bring everything you touch in and within 5 feet of the pool to "equipotential". As long as everything you touch within 5 feet of the pool is at the same voltage then no voltage will flow through your body.

So the points where your body were touching when you felt the zaps are not properly bonded to create the equipotential.

Minimum code requires the pool be bonded at four points and be connected to a bonding wires buried a few inches under ground around the pool. That is minimum code and some folks have lobbied the NEC that copper bonding mesh around the pool should be required.

My advice is to forget about trying to find the voltage. Upgrade the pool bond to greater then code requirements and create a truly equipotential environment around the pool.

1658881099197.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Mdragger88
Hello,
I have a Carvin BlackRock resin pool and can not get it bonded.
Just to give some background About three weeks ago I felt a sting on one of my fingers that has a cut and a few days later felt a zap.

I called the Electrician that did the work he came out and said it was the pool pump because he disconnected the ground wire and it stopped happening.

I got a replacement pump stuck my hand in the water and got shocked. He came out the next day and ran a bonding plate in my skimmer basket that went down to the copper wire that runs all the way around the pool.

Today I stuck my hand in the pool and felt a light sting on my hand.

Can someone give me some insight? I feel totally defeated by this pool.
So I called the pool manufacturer and they said that I needed to ground it with a tether attached to the seam of the pool.
I had the pool installer come in attach the tether to the seam of the pool the electrician came out and attached the tether to the bonding wire.
WE ARE STILL GETTING SHOCKED!
I feel totally defeated I don’t know that I’ll ever be pleased my pool.
At this point I really just want to drain it.

The only other thing the electrician suggested was a grounding rod?

Maybe a defect in your pool pump and can you exchange it for another from your place of purchase?

Maybe a defect in your pool pump and can you exchange it for another from your place of purchase?

I already replaced it once.
I was standing outside the pool with sneakers on and my hand in the pool felt nothing.
Took my shoes off stood barefoot on the ground (dirt) stuck my hand in the pool and felt the zap.

Stray voltages are part of the modern outdoor environment. It is very difficult to find out where the voltage source is. And the power company accepts some voltage is lost to the ground and is not concerned with fixing the leakage.

Bonding is supposed to bring everything you touch in and within 5 feet of the pool to "equipotential". As long as everything you touch within 5 feet of the pool is at the same voltage then no voltage will flow through your body.

So the points where your body were touching when you felt the zaps are not properly bonded to create the equipotential.

Minimum code requires the pool be bonded at four points and be connected to a bonding wires buried a few inches under ground around the pool. That is minimum code and some folks have lobbied the NEC that copper bonding mesh around the pool should be required.

My advice is to forget about trying to find the voltage. Upgrade the pool bond to greater then code requirements and create a truly equipotential environment around the pool.

View attachment 440536
I have an above ground pool this will work for that?

Is your water bonded? We just bought a pool and was asking questions and apparently today they use a plate in the skimmer to bond the water to the bonding system. This is from the pool store not an electrician. I looked at my Township requirements and it's in there as well.

Is your water bonded? We just bought a pool and was asking questions and apparently today they use a plate in the skimmer to bond the water to the bonding system. This is from the pool store not an electrician. I looked at my Township requirements and it's in there as well.
Yes, all pools need a water bond.

Yes, all pools need a water bond.

This is something new to me, our last pool which was put up quite a while ago only had 1 upright bonded to the pump. As I was researching for the new pool I saw this mentioned but unaware it was a NEC requirement these days.

I have a bonding ring around the pool and a bonding plate in the skimmer.
I also have a bonding cord that’s attached to a nut on the pools that is then connected to the bonding ring.

I turned the breaker off in the house for the pool stuck my hand in and still got zapped

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.