Bonding a stock tank pool on an existing slab

CameronSinks

Aug 21, 2021
Los Angeles, CA
Hello! Seeking some perspective and guidance on how to approach the bonding of a 8ft circular steel stock tank pool. The challenge is the tank sits atop an existing concrete patio with a poured concrete retaining wall on one side. (see picture for reference). This prevents me from burying the bonding wire.

Can the wire be run at surface level inside of a conduit? And attached up along the exterior rolled lip of the steel rim (see picture)?

Additionally, any suggestion on how to bond to the existing rebar reinforced concrete patio? Noting, that ideally I’d like to avoid or minimize any cutting of the concrete.

Pool setup:

- Stock tank (galvanized steel, epoxy coated interior + primed exterior.

- Intex pump + SWG system

- Filter / Inline water bond kit

- GFCI outlet

Thanks for any help the community can offer.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 28DDF344-7ECD-492F-AF45-BE166D359580.jpeg
    28DDF344-7ECD-492F-AF45-BE166D359580.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 56169A8F-89F5-422A-BFEF-68387CC48186.jpeg
    56169A8F-89F5-422A-BFEF-68387CC48186.jpeg
    99.4 KB · Views: 7
  • A006FB82-AAEE-46DC-AE1E-F8DAB815F51F.jpeg
    A006FB82-AAEE-46DC-AE1E-F8DAB815F51F.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 8
Welcome to TFP.

Does the concrete patio have rebar in it? If so you can bond the stock tank to the patio rebar and the water and equipment.

Welcome to TFP.

Does the concrete patio have rebar in it? If so you can bond the stock tank to the patio rebar and the water and equipment.
Thanks for your reply, ajw22. Yes there is rebar supporting the concrete. Are you suggesting cutting into and lugging to a single piece of rebar, in a single location?

My reading indicates a ring of copper wire around the pool would be needed to establish a proper bond. That is the challenge I face here in connecting multiple points to the stock tank as it will be sitting on the slab with no ability, short of cutting into, burying wire and patching the concrete. Hoping to avoid that.

Do you need to meet code and pass an inspection or just trying to be as safe as you can?

The ring of copper that then gets buried 6 inches in the ground bonds the pool with the ground.

Bond your tank to the rebar in the deck in 4 to 6 places. That accomplishes the equivalent. In a perfect world you would have put copper mesh as a bonding grid in the deck. But use what you have and it should be good enough.

Bond the water to the bonding grid as well as your equipment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.