Hamilton, Ontario Canada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
We are the new owners of a 40 year completely tiled salt water pool 16x32x 9 foot deep-end semi inground pool that had a ceramic/porcelain tiled cantilever deck. And we live in Canada.

Cracked grout on the pool deck resulted in water seeping from the pool deck in-between a section of wall tiles and the pool wall, causing tiles to bulge out or be loose. The walls have been cleaned and all thinset removed. Is it necessary to acid wash the walls before retiling?

The cantilever deck extends and overhangs the edge of the pool wall by a couple of inches. There is a space between the top of the pool edge and the bottom edge of the deck where the previous owner applied a heavy thick layer mixture of grout between the pool wall that is disintegrating. After this is cleaned out what is the solution to close in this space.

The pool is not leaking and appears to have no cracks. The deck and the bond beam edge are cracked, needing some repairs but nothing is shifting. . What type of cement should we use to repair the edge of the bond beam.

Repairs to the deck surface are going to be rubber pool decking. The tile has been removed because of disintegrating thinset from water leaking through the broken or weak grout joints. This will also waterproof the deck. Does any one have any experience with the rubber decking and salt water pools.

Contractors who came to look at the job, told us it was a total demo job, and to replace the pool. Pool does not leak no reason to demo.

Attachments

• pool reno 1.jpg
    pool reno 1.jpg
    522.8 KB · Views: 46
  • pool reno 2.jpg
    pool reno 2.jpg
    593.1 KB · Views: 46
  • pool reno 3.jpg
    pool reno 3.jpg
    450 KB · Views: 43
  • pool reno 4.jpg
    pool reno 4.jpg
    372.6 KB · Views: 45
Welcome to TFP :)

I am getting ready to do an all tile pool.. It is a lot to undertake but really awesome when done.. There are many steps to tiling a whole pool.. what I and you do not know is how many of these steps were taken when the pool was built... was the concrete shell waterproofed? and many more questions..

Here are the steps that are needed to install tile in a pool..

1622388010391.png

These are all the products "you can" use to install the tile, you pick one from the list that you can buy and use...

From this list I may use Aquron CPSP but I may use Miricote Aqua-blok XL cause I am also using there motar bed 2000 and the Membrane C for waterproofing..

Under #4 thinset, there are WAY more than this document.. I am using Mapei Granirapid thinset to install mine, it is expensive but it is the best stuff and the only one to allow submersion in 3 days or longer... Laticrete 254 platinum is also used a lot, more than Granirapid because of cost.. most thinsets have to wait 27 days before being submerged under water...

The cantilever deck extends and overhangs the edge of the pool wall by a couple of inches. There is a space between the top of the pool edge and the bottom edge of the deck where the previous owner applied a heavy thick layer mixture of grout between the pool wall that is disintegrating. After this is cleaned out what is the solution to close in this space.
The reason that is failing is because it is supposed to be 100% silicone from #7 below... I am always learning and just found out what I really already knew... Unless you strip 100% of the silicone off it will not stick when you have to reapply it in 5 to 10 years... @bdavis466 said to use non silicone products and I just searched and found one.. Deck O seal is a great product for expansion joints between the coping and deck but it is self leveling.. They also have a non sag product for vertical joints called deck-o-seal one step.. DECK-O-SEAL ONE STEP - Polymer-Based Sealing Compound - Deck-O-Seal

the grout will fail every time as that area expands and contracts almost daily..

I hope this helps you to get going :)

1622388081057.png

1622388109997.png

1622388161946.png

1622388179133.png

Attachments

• OGT-Pool-Water-Feature-Installation.pdf
    809 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.